Furry Experience - Official Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Called to Change

+16
Legalien
NovaNocturne
Scottytheman
kanna172003
Trevor_Fox
Amulek
Mr. Cardinal
Mr Ed
Banjo(Auz)
Pikachao
jubedi
Slim Shadow
Cutekitty
Latrans
The J.A.M.
Ellen-Natalie
20 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Called to Change - Page 2 Empty Re: Called to Change

Post  Ellen-Natalie Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:06 am

Called to Change - Page 2 4fb3647798pfV
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:39 am

... The bright side of staying up so late to crack these last couple problems of DOOM of probability homework is getting to see this page as soon as it comes out. As usual, I love the faces. They're so expressive. Actually, the body language in general says a lot.

I can kinda understand how something like this would suddenly spur someone in Cat's situation to contemplate the choice, especially if they think they may want to go, and yeah, I imagine that'd weigh on the mind. But Ronnie's right--no need to stress, Cat, you don't have to decide now; you can choose to go whenever you decide that you want to, or not at all, and there won't be a problem either way.

EDIT: I want to add one more thing (before I surrender and go to sleep for the night): I fear what Ronnie said in that last panel may have negated the comforting effects of what she said right before that. Now Cat might feel like the church needs her and feel more pressure to go on a mission. I guess we'll see on the next page(s).
Cutekitty
Cutekitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:10 am

Huh. Ronnie's being a bit more snarky than usual. I am ever so curious to see where this goes!Very Happy
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Amulek Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:18 am

Whelp...! Looks like it's already your turn to fulfill your missionary duty, Cat.

Let's roll a country, where you'll be doing your missionary work: mapcrunch.com (Still can't create links, goshdarnit!)

I got Slovakia. The next story arc: "Cat's crazy missionary adventures in Slovakia"? Better start learning that Slovak language, Mačka!

5th October 2013, 12:56 MDT update: They talked about the LDS church in Slovakia in the LDS World Report.
Amulek
Amulek

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikachao Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:01 pm

I definitely sympathize with Cat here, it's crazy how much pressure it puts on you when they change the age to your current one, especially in a predominately Mormon community. Everyone's suddenly all "you put in your papers yet?" and you just have to be like "...no" and then they all silently judge you.
Pikachao
Pikachao

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor_Fox Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:35 pm

Sometimes, one really can feel pressured into going on a mission.

For myself, I've grown up in the Church, and it was always something I was going to do. Though, honestly, as that day grew closer and I grew older, I was hoping that I did not have to go. I had a responsibility to fulfill, however, as my Dad was going to go on a mission when he was of age, but the family really gave him a hard time about it (my side of the family that didn't understand what a mission really was), and he ultimately ended up not going.

He and Mom talked a lot about their life and their choices they made, and that was one choice my Dad always regretted, so they looked forward to me being able to go on my mission. Yeah, the burden kinda fell on my shoulders, but I wanted to make my family proud and I wanted to be the son that was able to go on his mission and do what I needed to do.

I was terrified, though. I'm an introvert, and very much not the social butterfly. I live in front of my computer and do everything at home. Going out and talking to people was going to be amazingly scary and I didn't think I could do it for two years. I didn't want to go. I was hoping beyond hope that I would pray and get an answer not to go, or perhaps something would come up. No such luck, though.
I did need to decide for myself, though. I knelt down and prayed one day just to ask if the Book of Mormon was true. We had always been asked to do this in the Church and not rely on our parents beliefs and faith. We needed to find our own way and determine for ourselves if it was right or not. I was 17, and I figured it was time that I did that. As I started to pray, I felt really happy and calm in my heart. It was a most amazing feeling that washed over me, and I knew it was true, and more importantly, I knew I needed to serve a mission. Not just to make my parents proud, but for myself. It was the right choice for me.

So I went out. And yes, it was hard. Speaking to people was difficult and I messed up and couldn't convey ideas correctly. However, I learned more about the scriptures and spirituality during my time in the field, and I was so determined to be able to speak to people, that I eventually was able to overcome that barrier.
Speaking is still hard, and I can't always find the right words, but I at least am able to talk to others now and I understand more about the Gospel and what it has to offer.

Sorry for the tl;dr. =P
Trevor_Fox
Trevor_Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  Amulek Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:51 pm

Trevor_Fox wrote:I was terrified, though. I'm an introvert, and very much not the social butterfly. I live in front of my computer and do everything at home. Going out and talking to people was going to be amazingly scary and I didn't think I could do it for two years. I didn't want to go. I was hoping beyond hope that I would pray and get an answer not to go, or perhaps something would come up. No such luck, though.
Oh Lord... I can imagine how demanding the missionary work could be for a person like that. Not only does the time schedule of the missionaries seem to be very strict (wake up at 6:30 am and study for two hours every morning, begin your day's work at 10 am and retire to bed at 10:30 pm), also the rules of the missionaries seem to be very strict ("Do not go swimming" may be the weirdest). And you always have to be with your companion: even if you're using the Internet in a library, your companion must see the screen of your computer (and you must see his/her screen, too). Fortunately, you don't have to bring your companion to a bathroom with you. And of course as a missionary you have to go from door to door, talking to strangers and most of the time getting rejected.

And you have to do all this for two years (women got it easier: they have to serve only 18 months). I totally can believe you, that you must need a lot of faith and assurance of the message you're preaching, if you want to survive all those years.
Amulek
Amulek

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor_Fox Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:57 pm

*nods* But I'm very glad that I did go.

I will agree, it is ultimately up to the person to go or not. And they do need to decide for themselves. If they go just to please someone, they still could have a really good experience on their mission, but it would sure help at the beginning if it was their own decision because it's a big commitment.
Trevor_Fox
Trevor_Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:55 am

Called to Change - Page 2 0f11acdc4UtiX
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Oh my! I do believe we have found a subject dear enough to Cat's heart for her to actually be willing to get into a heated argument with someone over it. Granted that this happens to be the subject isn't a surprise, but it is still interesting to see.
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:27 pm

Latrans wrote:Oh my! I do believe we have found a subject dear enough to Cat's heart for her to actually be willing to get into a heated argument with someone over it. Granted that this happens to be the subject isn't a surprise, but it is still interesting to see.
Ooh, yep! It reminds me of when Cat stood up for her stance on sex (although that was more of a tirade due to her finally having enough of Ronnie's pushy sex ed than an actual argument with the bunny) or when she stood up for the value of her efforts in her art classes, although I think that one ran hotter, more emotionally intense. Then again, if Dawn hadn't stepped in so soon and so sharply, I could see this current argument getting out of hand... yeah, it does remind me of the switcheroo arc more than the sex ed one.

Regarding Dawn's reaction, she kind of snapped, didn't she? Part of it could be that she doesn't want Cat and Ronnie to get mad enough at each other to go another week holding a grudge and refusing to talk. But I think more of it is that the announcement has shaken her; she definitely did not look pleased on the previous page. I look forward to seeing what she says on the next.
Cutekitty
Cutekitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Amulek Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:31 pm

The LDS church, just like any other religious or even non-religious organization, likes to boast how they are a fast growing organization. In the recent General Conference the church leaders were very proud to announce that the number of their members just recently hit 15 million. Sure, the number of members is increasing, but how many of those are practicing members? How many million Mormons attend the sacrament meeting every Sunday or more importantly: how many Mormons actually follow the commandments? They should research that more diligently, rather than looking at the total amount of their members.
Amulek
Amulek

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Cardinal Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:43 pm

Ok, gonna be honest.

No idea what they're talking about. Neutral
Mr. Cardinal
Mr. Cardinal

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Called to Change - Page 2 A59aa4b8cJBWs
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikachao Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:28 pm

so, um....yes.

also, those missionaries look super cool, and I'm very curious about who they are (I believe I will call the one on the left Elder Parker)
Pikachao
Pikachao

Back to top Go down

Post  Amulek Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:42 am

So now we know that Dawn's father is a Catholic and her brother and mother are Mormons. Is Dawn herself nonreligious or just not affiliated with any religious group/organization?
Amulek
Amulek

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:47 pm

Pikachao wrote:(I believe I will call the one on the left Elder Parker)
Does that mean we call the othe Elder Peter?

Also,I was wondering what Dawn's family was wearing. Now I know: baptismal robes.
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Called to Change - Page 2 Eed01ab1esu8Y
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:31 am

So... Has anyone else noticed that anthro ladies often have large amounts of chest hair flowing out the neckline of their shirts? While I don't find anything wrong with this (it's actually an important part of the character aesthetic for many), I do find the disparity of how people react between such fantasy settings and the Real World humorous enough to comment on.

Really, how would you react if you were walking down the street and saw a human lady with large amounts of chest hair flowing out the neckline of their shirt?Laughing
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Cardinal Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:03 am

Latrans wrote:So... Has anyone else noticed that anthro ladies often have large amounts of chest hair flowing out the neckline of their shirts? While I don't find anything wrong with this (it's actually an important part of the character aesthetic for many), I do find the disparity of how people react between such fantasy settings and the Real World humorous enough to comment on.

Really, how would you react if you were walking down the street and saw a human lady with large amounts of chest hair flowing out the neckline of their shirt?Laughing
I think it's just a way to show how "furry" these characters are. I think even some males have it.

Also, I'm just so anxious to see what's going to happen. bounce
Mr. Cardinal
Mr. Cardinal

Back to top Go down

Post  Amulek Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:04 am

[Proselytizing intensifies]
Amulek
Amulek

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Latrans wrote:So... Has anyone else noticed that anthro ladies often have large amounts of chest hair flowing out the neckline of their shirts? While I don't find anything wrong with this (it's actually an important part of the character aesthetic for many), I do find the disparity of how people react between such fantasy settings and the Real World humorous enough to comment on.

I've considered that in the past and decided it's like comparing apples and oranges.  The esthetics of the two types are totally different; one is almost totally covered in fur and the other is maybe 90% (or more) bare-skinned.  Kinda like... How would your pet dog/cat look with a bare-skinned chest and heavy fur everywhere else?

Mr Ed

http://Iron-Ed.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:17 pm

That's why I said it was an important part of the character aesthetic. Wink

Anywho, do forgive me for not having much to say about the comic itself. It doesn't mean I'm not interested. Quite the opposite, actually. I simply don't know where this comic is going. There are SO many possibilities that I'm left to simply sit and wait. And dang it I want to know!!! Laughing 
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:38 pm

Called to Change - Page 2 Ac190a0d7ghqa
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  kanna172003 Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:50 pm