Called to Change

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Uh-oh. This comic is officially dated.
Ellen-Natalie

View user profile http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Called to Change

Post  The J.A.M. on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Wow, she has cervine-specific oven mitts?
The J.A.M.

View user profile https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Given the amount of work that cloven hooved furs do by grasping things between their two primary digits, I'm not surprised.

Also, Ms. Natalie, congratulations on 300 pages! That's really quite the accomplishment. Here's to 300 more!
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:00 am

BROWNIES! BROWNIES BROWNIES BROWNIES!!! Coincidentally, I had brownies last night. They were delicious.

"Called to Change"? I wonder if any (or all) of the characters are going to go through some major development in this arc. To me, the title seems to suggest it, so I'm excited to see how this progresses. Also, what time of year is it? I know there was an earlier arc with an LDS worldwide conference; is that the other semiannual conference? If so, that would mean about six months have passed since then, right? Would it be nearing the end of the school year?
Cutekitty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Slim Shadow on Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Spoiler:
video thing sooooooo relevant to this arc

My gooooooosh... This is gonna be a huuuuuge arc because of this... I'm excited to see how the gang will react to
Spoiler:
Monson's announcement of the reduction of the missionary age of 18 for men and 19 for women.
I'll get my brownies ready.
Slim Shadow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:24 am

Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:45 am

I'm afraid I'm kind of with Vikki right now. I don't really see the gender gap closing, along with a small age reduction, being that big of a deal. I suspect that's largely due to my status of 'not LDS' (as Mr. Shadow is expecting something big).

Of course this only makes me even more curious what the following comics will bring.Very Happy
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jubedi on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:52 am

... I guess I'm missing all the points here^^ not even like brownies that much... or recogniced it as brownie... or know why that's important for them... do they all intend to go into missionary missions far away as soon as possibly?

For me our election in Germany and Hessen was kind of more important^^ the majority chose a CDU which promise to change nothing. However, their partner FTP which also promised to only do something for economy got kicked out (under 5% of voices) so CDU can't get above 50% easily... except it makes a compromis with the second strongest SPD, which basically said that most of all things needs change... or "die Grüne" which says everything needs to change (basic energy, social, economy, animal and internaltional (EU, Euro, NATO) politics)... or "die Linke", which are basically democratical comunists... first since quite some time CDU and FTP won't be form our govenment... most likely it will be SPD, Grüne and Linke... that's also because Grüne and CDU don't like each other and don't have above 50% this time and CDU and Linke like each other even less... CDU said some not nice things about Linke during ejection...
A shame that our pirates (Piraten-Partei) did not come over 5%... their main topic is reforming copyright, internet-rights and cyberware...
I mean we already have our army-section "Bundesamt für Informationsmanagement und Informationstechnik der Bundeswehr " and the "Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik (BSI)" and when I recall correctly a newly formed EU-section but I still think that's kind of weak...

Well, in case you don't know, the ejection above was about the Bundestag, which is basically our main government, deciding about army, trying to control economy and decide about new laws. also selecting the Bundeskanzler (currently angela merkel). Every party that got above 5% of voices gets a proportional amount of seats in there while the government is a cluster of parties that gets together more than 50%. the rest are the "Oppsition" that is mainly there to criticize and control the action of the government. They can also have more influence if the get into the Bundesrat with a majority... the Bundesrat can mainly suggest laws and needs to allow certain laws to be made, but can also file protests to others...
well, additional to the direct ejection, every party has in every ejection-area a main character that can get selected with a second voice to directly enter into the Bundestag without his party beeing ejected. However, that will go to disadvantage to other parties as there is a limited seat-amount...

Well and then we got a second ejection yesterday, about our Landtag, where mostly the same parties were able to be ejected... although the result is mostly the same, except FTP got exactly 5.0%... There are some things that aren't covered by German rights, so there are Hessen's rights that come from the Landtag. But Bund is always stronger then Land regarding laws... Hessen's laws say that someone can still be put on death row here but the Grundgesetz der Bunderepublik is strongly forbidding that...
Here wer had also two voices for each of us so we can also choose which people we would like to enter Landtag directly... although that's is also often unimportant as they are there anyway, chosen by their party to vote for them...

Bundestagswahl: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundestagswahl_2013
Landtagswahl: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landtagswahl_in_Hessen_2013

So... is this somehow related to that you can now go to fight peacefully for the church with 19?
... isn't the age of adulthood 21 in USA? Don't really know that anymore... here it's 18... wouldn't that mean you'll need written permission from your parents?

jubedi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikachao on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:02 am

Latrans wrote:I'm afraid I'm kind of with Vikki right now. I don't really see the gender gap closing, along with a small age reduction, being that big of a deal. I suspect that's largely due to my status of 'not LDS' (as Mr. Shadow is expecting something big).

Of course this only makes me even more curious what the following comics will bring.Very Happy
From my experiences, it's been a lot bigger to the young women than the young men. A Lot of the young women I know have changed their plans from "we'll see if I'm married by then" to "Definitely going." I know that at least of few of the people I knew didn't go on a mission because by 21, they were married off already, this announcement really lets more young women go (once again, from what I've seen.)

For young men, it's not as big of a difference, I'm still putting in my papers at age 19, but others have scholarships and/or got accepted into a college on some sort of sports thing, so they needed to go a year earlier.
Pikachao

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The J.A.M. on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:04 am

Feh. I know missionaries who were 5-6 years old at the time of their mission.

Yes, they went with their parents Razz
The J.A.M.

View user profile https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:28 am

Jubedi: Nope, one is considered a legal adult at age 18 in the U.S. as well. Laws against unsupervised alcohol consumption (I think the specifics on supervision vary a bit by state) hold until 21, though. I, for example, am a legal adult, but I can't touch alcohol for another two years... well, year and a couple of months. ^^

Now, as for that change in the mission age requirement policy, I'm not a member of the LDS Church and knew nothing about any of this until the comic brought it up, but I'm always happy to hear about anything that diminishes a gender-based bias. Personally, I think the age requirement should be the exact same for both males and females, though, to be completely fair.

Pikachao: Thanks for the insight! Do a lot of people really get married by 21? And is that something particularly common in the LDS Church? That seems pretty young to me, but maybe that's just because of the people I grew up around.
Cutekitty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:51 am

Cutekitty wrote:Do a lot of people really get married by 21? And is that something particularly common in the LDS Church?
I got married at 21. Still happily married, but I'd be lying if I said it's all been easy.
21's considered a little young, but not unusual. Many young men are encouraged to start looking for a wife and starting a family as soon as they return from their mission. Since the average age of a returning missionary was 21, it was pretty common to see them get married a year or two later. (If not sooner.) Now they'll be coming back from their missions at even earlier ages. Will they still be encouraged by their leaders to get married and start a family as soon as possible? For all the positive opportunities which may come from this announcement, I also worry about things like this.
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikachao on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:34 am

It's definitely at least going to change a lot of the missionary culture I tended to see growing up (at least with pre mission dating and dear johns). It's kind of surprising going up to BYUI, everyone is either an RM, or on a mission right now. A lot of the people my age have deferred to go on a mission first before college, I can't help but think that the only reason there are girls my age are because they can't go at 18.
Pikachao

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo(Auz) on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:47 pm

(lol at the whiteboard.)

Pikachao wrote:
Latrans wrote:I'm afraid I'm kind of with Vikki right now. I don't really see the gender gap closing, along with a small age reduction, being that big of a deal. I suspect that's largely due to my status of 'not LDS' (as Mr. Shadow is expecting something big).

From my experiences, it's been a lot bigger to the young women than the young men. A Lot of the young women I know have changed their plans from "we'll see if I'm married by then" to "Definitely going." I know that at least of few of the people I knew didn't go on a mission because by 21, they were married off already, this announcement really lets more young women go (once again, from what I've seen.)
The announcement made a huge difference! (mostly involving young women, like Pikachao said.) In fact, there was a 470% increase in mission applications by one week after it was announced!
(I would post a link to a source, but apparently I can't post links for 7 days. :/)

Anyways, I'm curious and very exited to see what happens next! Very Happy
Why must Friday be so far away?
Banjo(Auz)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:22 pm

I suspect that the large increase is going to be temporary. Once the initial rush dies down, numbers will return to normal.

Also, out of curiosity, what is the reason for the push to get married as soon as possible?
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Pikachao wrote:(at least with pre mission dating and dear johns).
Now they'll mail 'Dear Janes' instead. (Heyo!)

Latrans wrote:Also, out of curiosity, what is the reason for the push to get married as soon as possible?
It depends on who you ask, I've heard different leaders give different answers. But the common theme among them is that families are key to God's plan for his children. Many gospel principles I learned growing up tied into the importance of marriage and family.
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  jubedi on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:09 am

Latrans wrote:I suspect that the large increase is going to be temporary. Once the initial rush dies down, numbers will return to normal.
Well, I think it will be similar to the years what happened in Germany recently... some years ago a lot of schools had to educate pupils within 8 instead of 9 years, so there was a year were there were two generations out of school. additionally that was also the year where joining the army was made completely voluntary (before you got inspected after finishing school if you were able to join army for 9 months or the Zivildienst)...
So in that year we had almost more than double the amount of students coming to university etc. After that however it were around half the usually amount for some years...

jubedi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:38 pm

I don't remember about Vicki, but I seem to recall that Dawn and Ronnie are not actually LDS members; which makes Cat's expression in the last panel all the more interesting, and amusing.

Mr Ed

View user profile http://Iron-Ed.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Cardinal on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:53 am

Ellen-Natalie wrote:
Cutekitty wrote:Do a lot of people really get married by 21? And is that something particularly common in the LDS Church?
I got married at 21. Still happily married, but I'd be lying if I said it's all been easy.
21's considered a little young, but not unusual. Many young men are encouraged to start looking for a wife and starting a family as soon as they return from their mission. Since the average age of a returning missionary was 21, it was pretty common to see them get married a year or two later. (If not sooner.) Now they'll be coming back from their missions at even earlier ages. Will they still be encouraged by their leaders to get married and start a family as soon as possible? For all the positive opportunities which may come from this announcement, I also worry about things like this.
I'm not entirely familiar with all this.

Is this going to be a "trying to grow up faster than you should? arc? Question
Mr. Cardinal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:03 am

Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Amulek on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:35 am

I've talked about this change of the missionary age limits with the missionaries and they confirmed that it was a big deal in the Mormon community (even though I still don't understand what's all the fuss about).

But yeah, I'm excited about the upcoming General Conference. Will there be any big announcements this October?
Amulek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Is it just me, or do they look rather somber? Dawn especially, to me she looks like she has this sort of downcast, brooding expression. Ronnie looks more like her usual self, very close to her bored face but also a bit brooding, and Cat looks worried in that last panel, even though she's smiling in the previous one. Is Cat contemplating whether or not to take this new opportunity right now (or soon), I wonder?

Gosh, so many long faces. From my understanding, this opens up a lot of new possibilities, but it doesn't prevent people from going on missions a few years later on in life if they prefer, does it? Please correct me if I am wrong about that.
Cutekitty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Slim Shadow on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:38 pm

Yeah, well in my YSA branch, itr had huge implications. We had a huge influx of missionaries to our stake and city. And also the branch has to deal with dwindling numbers since once they're in the branch, they are out a few months later.

But to heck with missionaries, THE WHITEBOARD IS EXHIBITING SIGNS OF SENTIENCE!
Slim Shadow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Banjo(Auz) on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Gosh, so many long faces. From my understanding, this opens up a lot of new possibilities, but it doesn't prevent people from going on missions a few years later on in life if they prefer, does it? Please correct me if I am wrong about that.
The new ages are optional, you can still choose to go later.
I think one of the reasons why Cat looks worried is because missions can be kinda scary. You might be going to a different country and try to talk to random people about religion for two years!
(Assuming she was drawn that way intentionally.)

AND THE WHITEBOARD LIVES!! O.O
Banjo(Auz)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Nono. The whiteboard isn't alive. It's just possessed. Really.Wink 

Anywho, I have my theories to why the girls are reacting the way they are.

I suspect that Cat had been informed by her parents that she would be going on a mission when she reached the required age. Given her personality, this could be a rather frightening prospect. On top of that, the age reduction just made it a much more immediate issue.

Dawn, on the other hand, likely is processing what this will mean for the people she knows and how it could affect their relationships. If my theory for Cat is correct, she might know about that situation and what it would do to her roommate.

Vikki, of course, is in the same boat I am (was?): "I don't get what the fuss is about."

Lastly, and potentially most importantly, is Ronnie. If you recall, she was very close to her last (only?) boyfriend. We don't know what the circumstances of their break-up, but given previous arcs, it likely had to do something directly LDS related. Perhaps to do with him going on a mission?Surprised 
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum