Furry Experience - Official Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the Love of Manga

+12
Banjo(Auz)
laughingbanana
The J.A.M.
Pikachao
Slim Shadow
Latrans
NovaNocturne
Mr Ed
Cutekitty
kanna172003
Mr. Cardinal
Ellen-Natalie
16 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

For the Love of Manga - Page 5 Empty Re: For the Love of Manga

Post  kanna172003 Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:45 am

Cutekitty wrote:...Oh, Cat, that's a risky move. You KNOW what your teacher's attitude is toward that art form. If your report is anything less than stunningly good, it will not suffice. Tread carefully and work hard.

That would be incredibly biased of her. Manga is an art form, even if it's one she doesn't like and therefore it should count as a valid topic. As long as Cat presents her case in a mature manner instead of a report full of fangirling, don't see why she should get a bad grade.
kanna172003
kanna172003

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:28 pm

kanna172003 wrote:
Cutekitty wrote:...Oh, Cat, that's a risky move. You KNOW what your teacher's attitude is toward that art form. If your report is anything less than stunningly good, it will not suffice. Tread carefully and work hard.

That would be incredibly biased of her. Manga is an art form, even if it's one she doesn't like and therefore it should count as a valid topic. As long as Cat presents her case in a mature manner instead of a report full of fangirling,  don't see why she should get a bad grade.

I suppose my statement was a little extreme, wasn't it? ^^; Prof. Ferguson has demonstrated a bias against manga, though, one that's at least enough for her to insinuate that manga doesn't involve "useful" skills, and I'm still not certain how much she'll let it influence her when grading--she might be inclined to view Cat's report more harshly than she would normally. And yes, that would be quite unprofessional and biased, so I guess we'll see in this arc just how fair of a professor she is. I still think Cat should work especially hard to make sure her report is solid.
Cutekitty
Cutekitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikachao Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:40 pm

Cutekitty wrote:
kanna172003 wrote:

That would be incredibly biased of her. Manga is an art form, even if it's one she doesn't like and therefore it should count as a valid topic. As long as Cat presents her case in a mature manner instead of a report full of fangirling,  don't see why she should get a bad grade.

I suppose my statement was a little extreme, wasn't it? ^^; Prof. Ferguson has demonstrated a bias against manga, though, one that's at least enough for her to insinuate that manga doesn't involve "useful" skills, and I'm still not certain how much she'll let it influence her when grading--she might be inclined to view Cat's report more harshly than she would normally. And yes, that would be quite unprofessional and biased, so I guess we'll see in this arc just how fair of a professor she is. I still think Cat should work especially hard to make sure her report is solid.

That is one of those old sayings isn't it? "Do what your professor wants." Everyone has biases, it's hard to be a person who doesn't so it makes sense prof. Ferguson would have some. Cat can do her study on Manga, but it does mean she has to do a little more above and beyond to impress the teacher, because she's starting at a (in Ferguson's eyes) lower level.
Pikachao
Pikachao

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyKaden Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:22 pm

I remember going into college... I was told flat out to not correct my professors by high school teachers and family and to do what they like. It's really counter productive in art classes, though. You don't show what you know unless it's showing what you like.
LadyKaden
LadyKaden

Back to top Go down

For the Love of Manga - Page 5 Empty Page 347 Sneak Peak

Post  Ellen-Natalie Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:33 pm

For the Love of Manga - Page 5 10002955_643231009082623_192188288_n
Cat is surrounded by little critters
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyKaden Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Warning, warning, dark thoughts ahead. Don't give in, Cat!
LadyKaden
LadyKaden

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:05 am

All these people who I like and respect look down on manga; could it be that -I'M- wrong?  Ha-Ha!  Naaahh!

Mr Ed

http://Iron-Ed.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:24 pm

For the Love of Manga - Page 5 C953e63a6x9IN
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:46 pm

Cat; losing your nerve?! C'mon, Cat! You can ace this!

Mr Ed

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:12 pm

I actually did exceedingly BAD in my LIT 110 (composition) classes because the (student) teacher had a habit of giving us assignments requiring us to spout off a bunch of pretentious BS ("pick a piece of abstract art from this gallery and tell us what the artist was thinking") and I had a rather bad habit of using the assignment to point out just how pretentious the assignment was and just how much BS I'd have to make up to fulfill it ("isn't that just a Rorschach test?").

"Write what the instructor wants to read" is actually pretty solid advice if you are unfamiliar with the instructor in question or how they will react to independent thinkers.
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  kanna172003 Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:51 pm

Latrans wrote:I actually did exceedingly BAD in my LIT 110 (composition) classes because the (student) teacher had a habit of giving us assignments requiring us to spout off a bunch of pretentious BS ("pick a piece of abstract art from this gallery and tell us what the artist was thinking") and I had a rather bad habit of using the assignment to point out just how pretentious the assignment was and just how much BS I'd have to make up to fulfill it ("isn't that just a Rorschach test?").

"Write what the instructor wants to read" is actually pretty solid advice if you are unfamiliar with the instructor in question or how they will react to independent thinkers.

In other words, treat all teachers like they are the Unhelpful High School Teacher meme.
kanna172003
kanna172003

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyKaden Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:25 am

This is why I almost failed my basic grammar class (Required, but we had to review art pieces the way the professor wanted and I refused), but it's the worst thing to do. It stunts growth as a person and proper refining.
LadyKaden
LadyKaden

Back to top Go down

For the Love of Manga - Page 5 Empty Page 348 Sneak Peak

Post  Ellen-Natalie Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:53 pm

For the Love of Manga - Page 5 10154140_646394675432923_3320258260002617077_n
Page 348: Attempts to hide are not successful.
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:46 am

kanna172003 wrote:In other words, treat all teachers like they are the Unhelpful High School Teacher meme.

At least until you know better, yes. Maybe that sounds harsh, but so is your GPA when you flunk a class or two.
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

For the Love of Manga - Page 5 Empty Page 348

Post  Ellen-Natalie Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:43 pm

For the Love of Manga - Page 5 226c38d77qpIx
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  kanna172003 Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:55 pm

Come on Cat! You stood up to the terror that is Ms. Pudelhund! You can do it again!
kanna172003
kanna172003

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:13 am

Oh, that look... "That means you. Yes, you. I'm looking right at you, Cat."

Perhaps something good will come of Cat meeting with Prof. Ferguson one-on-one. Professors (the good ones, at least... and I've generally had very good ones) can be wonderfully helpful during office hours. Prof. Ferguson's let her bias against manga slip through her professionalism, but I think she might still be a good enough professor to take Cat seriously, hear her out, and offer some sound advice. Either way, I hope Cat doesn't put it off or try to avoid it all together.

Cutekitty
Cutekitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikachao Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:35 am

I'm really trying to figure out the names on the notebook, but alas, they are too pixelly for me to tell
Pikachao
Pikachao

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:53 am

Cutekitty wrote:Professors (the good ones, at least... and I've generally had very good ones) can be wonderfully helpful during office hours.

That's the flip side to my argument. I've also had good professors and not only do they tolerate independent thinking, they encourage it.

On that note, I think Cat would do well to take her chosen subject seriously. While Prof. Ferguson may not care for the chosen style, there is still a LOT to be said for the study of the style. It's history, strong and weak points, cultural impact, etc. Heck, history alone would make a heck of a report. When was it developed? Why? How has it changed? What influenced those changes? Who were (and are) some of the big names and what did they contribute?
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Pikachao wrote:I'm really trying to figure out the names on the notebook, but alas, they are too pixelly for me to tell

It's okay, Pikachao-the text ended up being smaller than I thought. Some names start repeating themselves, and the notebook itself makes note of this. It might be related to the whiteboard. Also, love your new missionary pic!
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikachao Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:20 pm

Ellen-Natalie wrote:
Pikachao wrote:I'm really trying to figure out the names on the notebook, but alas, they are too pixelly for me to tell

It's okay, Pikachao-the text ended up being smaller than I thought. Some names start repeating themselves, and the notebook itself makes note of this. It might be related to the whiteboard. Also, love your new missionary pic!

I'll have to figure this out, that and what Dawn said about why she kept giving pencils to Brian. I will get to the bottom of this!
Thanks! I figured it was fitting to draw one up for myself.
Pikachao
Pikachao

Back to top Go down

For the Love of Manga - Page 5 Empty Page 349 Sneak Peak

Post  Ellen-Natalie Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:19 am

For the Love of Manga - Page 5 10258684_647968678608856_7567570133274025247_n
Page 349: Slow down, Cat-that's not Hunter.
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:06 am

She's much cuter than Hunter. ;-) And this looks to be a fun page coming up!

Mr Ed

Back to top Go down

Post  kanna172003 Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Lemme guess! The new girl is going to turn out to be a fan of manga too!
kanna172003
kanna172003

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Or even a small-time manga artist/writer herself?  :-)  Or maybe she's enough of a fan
to get Cat to attend a convention with her!

Mr Ed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next