Furry Experience - Official Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooking and Reheating Leftovers Sans Microwave

3 posters

Go down

Cooking and Reheating Leftovers Sans Microwave Empty Cooking and Reheating Leftovers Sans Microwave

Post  Cutekitty Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:34 pm

I needed to relocate for work and have just moved into my apartment! First apartment I'll be renting by myself, and second apartment ever (first was in college, for senior year). I have a kitchen. I also have a big pot, a medium-small saucepan (large enough to make Kraft macaroni in), a little skillet, a small and a large wok, a round glass dish for pies/casseroles/etc., a plastic chopping board, a baking tray, a brownie pan, a chef's knife, a shovel spoon, a wooden spoon, a spatula, a colander, mixing bowls, a vegetable peeler, a rice cooker, a Tfal multicooker, a small electric beater that runs like it's possessed (the second-lowest setting tripped a circuit breaker back at home), an electric kettle, a tea maker, Pyrex, dishes/silverware, and...

No microwave!

What methods do you usually use to heat up leftovers if you don't use a microwave or toaster oven? Could I, say, stick leftover stew in with raw rice in the rice cooker and still have the rice cook well? (Edit: on second thought, adding it while the rice is cooked and keeping warm would probably work better.)

Additionally, do you have vegetarian recipes that you recommend? I know how to make the following:

- Roots and legume stew (sweet potato, potato, onion, carrots, beans, lentils, water, basil, garlic salt, ketchup)
- Stir fried veggies
- Veggie pot pie
- Pancakes (from scratch, but simple recipe)
- Blondies
- A blueberry cheesecake that utilizes the multicooker (but I bet it could be adapted to a pie pan)
- Baked veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus: tossed in olive oil, baked, sprinkled liberally with salt)
- Baked sweet potato
- Kraft macaroni, peanut butter sandwiches, rice, scrambled eggs, ramen

But I'd like to expand my repertoire. I'm primarily interested in meals that are less complicated and use staple ingredients. Heavier, high-nutrient meals that keep well in the fridge and freezer are also appreciated. Oh, and I'm happy to share the details of anything on my list!

Spontaneous advice about other adulting-related matters is also welcome. Or anecdotes related to such matters: crazy things you dealt with, crazy things you did.
Cutekitty
Cutekitty

Back to top Go down

Cooking and Reheating Leftovers Sans Microwave Empty Re: Cooking and Reheating Leftovers Sans Microwave

Post  Latrans Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:31 pm

For living on a budget, the Free section on craigslist is one of the best things ever. But stay away from matresses and furniture. You would be horrified by the number of people who give away bedbugs with those.
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Cooking and Reheating Leftovers Sans Microwave Empty Re: Cooking and Reheating Leftovers Sans Microwave

Post  Ellen-Natalie Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:50 pm

I've found reheating with an oven seems to be the best option if the microwave isn't available. Use an oven-safe dish, heat to 250 degrees, and check on it every 5-10 minutes until it's heated to a point you like.
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:42 pm

I'm a bit late getting back to this--work's kept me busy--but thank you both! I'll keep an eye on craiglist's Free section because it totally does look like the best thing ever. The warning that furniture = untrustworthy is noted and heeded. As for the oven reheat method, good to know! That sounds useful especially for things like baked vegetables. The rice cooker's Warm setting seems to work well for stew and other soft concoctions, so far.
Cutekitty
Cutekitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Recently found this website, I think it'll help you figure out what vegetarian meals to make:

http://www.thereversecookbook.com/
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:16 pm

That site looks amazing!!!

I'm getting this error right now:
Failed to connect to MySQL: (2054) Server sent charset unknown to the client. Please, report to the developers

But I'll give it another whirl later! Thank you so much!
Cutekitty
Cutekitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down