Furry Experience - Official Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm Cooking!

3 posters

Go down

I'm Cooking! Empty I'm Cooking!

Post  Latrans Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:30 pm

So I'm putting this in "Arts and Hobbies" since a lot of cooking is considered either an art or a hobby. Unfortunately for me, it's neither because I don't particularly care to cook and do so out of necessity (my ladyfriend is diabetic so 99% of all pre-prepared items are off the menu).

Anyways, I'm going to be using this thread largely as a log of my successes and failures and what I think went wrong (or right). Feel free to join in, post your own recipes, or comments/criticisms. For my part, I'm using http://nutritiondata.self.com to figure the "Dietary stuff" I post at the bottom.

So for tonight...

Pizza Sauce wrote:Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic (about two or three large cloves)
1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano (if using fresh, add at the end of the cooking time)
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes (undrained) or 2 pounds diced fresh tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar substitute
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Black pepper to taste

Instructions

In a medium saucepan over low heat, warm the olive oil.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for about a minute. If you’re using dried oregano, add that along with the garlic. If you’re using fresh, add it to the sauce at the end of the cooking time.
Increase the heat to medium. Add the tomatoes, sugar, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper.
Leave over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until boiling. Reduce heat to low for a nice simmer.
Simmer uncovered for 90 minutes.
Stir in fresh oregano, if using.
Allow the sauce to cool to a safe temperature and then, using an immersion blender or working in batches with a blender,
If using fresh oregano, stir that in after the hour and a half cooking time.

Dietary stuff:
Calories: 310
Total fat: 14g
Sodium: 282mg
Carbohydrates: 4

Notes:
Rather than make this into a pizza, I used it as a 'generic tomato sauce' for some spaghetti with meatballs. It wasn't very good at all. Incredibly acidic. On top of that, cooking to tomatoes down for that length of time boiled off most of the water and I had to keep adding more (about a cup by the time I was done). Next time I'm going to be increasing the sugar (substitute) to 2 tablespoons and switching from simmering uncovered to covered. We also added some diced bell pepper that is definitely getting left out next time.

Meatballs wrote:1 lb ground turkey
2 egg whites
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup plain oatmeal
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon oregano
Pepper to taste
1 1/2 tablespoon minced basil

Mix all ingredients with hands.
Form into golfball sized meatballs.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes

Dietary stuff:
Calories: 1420
Total fat: 65g
Sodium: 1282mg
Carbohydrates: 77g

Notes:
Surprisingly good with a rather mild flavor. They did, however, stick to the pan horrendously. Use aluminum foil or grease before laying these down and putting them in the oven. Makes about 18 meatballs.

Edit: Fixed my messed up quote boxes.

Last edited by Latrans on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

I'm Cooking! Empty Re: I'm Cooking!

Post  Kynos argos Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 pm

I love this! I just got done making a key lime pie, sorry though, no nutritional information.

Key Lime Pie:
1 9" graham cracker pie crust
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites (Separate yolks and whites into two different bowls)
1 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup sweetened key lime juice
1/2 tea spoon of vanilla extract
1/4 tea spoon cream of tartar
6 table spoons of sugar
1 Lime, sliced (Optional)
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Filling: In one bowl add egg yolks, condensed milk, and key lime juice. Whip until ingredients are evenly mixed. Pour into pie crust.

Merengue: In one bowl add egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla. Whip until peaks begin to form. Then gradually add sugar while whipping. Whip until sugar is completely dissolved and the merengue begins to look white and shiny (This may take longer than you expect). Pour on top of filling, make sure that merengue touches all edges of the pie (This will prevent the merengue from shrinking).

Put the pie in the oven. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes. The pie is done when the merengue is golden brown on the edges. Remove the pie from the oven. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Put the pie in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 and 1/2 hours. Garnish with lime slices if desired. Slice and serve.

Kynos argos

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Awesome! I'll have to try these. Here's one of my favorite dinners to make~Mexcian Pie!

1 Pound of ground beef
1 Tbsp Cumin
4 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 Tsp Salt (or to taste)
1/2 Onion, chopped fine
7 shakes Hot sauce
7 Eggs
1/2 cup Cream
6 oz Colby Cheese, sliced or shredded

1. Put the ground beef in a large sauce pan, add the cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, onion. Cook on medium high until browned well. Do NOT drain it. It sounds like a lot of spices, but believe me-the cream and cheese will balance it out. If you're still nervous, use only half the recommend spices and hot sauce.

2. Whip together the eggs and cream until smooth and slightly foamy. Pour over the meat, with heat on medium high, and lay the cheese evenly on top of it all. Cover. Leave heat on for 2 minute then turn it off. Walk away for 10 minutes.

3. When the cover is removed you will have a solid Mexican Pie!
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:32 am

Okay, this is a pretty simple recipe. Came up with it myself while we were playing "I don't get payed for a couple days and we're shy on ingredients".

9 Tbsp Flour
6 Cups Milk
1 Pound Turkey Sausage
27 Ounces Whole Grain Pasta
Black Pepper
1/2 Pound Mozzarella Cheese

Start by browning the sausage and draining the grease. If you don't have a second set of hands, do this first and NOT concurrent with the following steps. Set aside. In a large skillet or soup pan, pour the milk and flour. While stirring constantly heat to a simmer then turn heat down to Low. Continue stirring and add pepper to taste. Do not stop stirring. If the milk sets for more than a few seconds it will begin to curdle. As the milk/flour begins to thicken, stir in the cooked sausage. Continue to stir over low heat until desired consistency is reached. Remove from heat and continue to stir for another 5-10 minutes to prevent curdling. Next, cook the pasta. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and pour in the pasta. Boil until the noodles are tender then drain the water. Finally, grate the cheese.

To serve, fill a bowl with pasta then cover with sausage/gravy mix. Finally, top with the grated cheese. Enjoy.

Dietary stuff:
Calories: 5100
Total fat: 143g
Sodium: 4914mg
Carbohydrates: 660

Keep in mind, again, that that Dietary Stuff is for the entire meal not per serving. If you're worried about this sort of thing adjust how much of this you eat to suit.

On the meal itself, it went over pretty darn well. I used some Jimmy Dean pre-cooked turkey sausage links and chopped them up. It is basically a biscuits-n-gravy with the biscuits substituted with pasta.
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:37 pm

And now it's time for beef jerky! I decided on a teriyaki marinade I found online.

Teriyaki Beef Jerky Recipe:
1-2 Pounds Beef Strips
1 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Cloves Garlic crushed (or 2tsp Garlic Powder)
1/2 Onion finely chopped (or 2tsp Onion Powder)
1 Tablespoon Grated Ginger (2tsp Ginger Powder)
1 Tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tablespoon Honey
1/2 Teaspoon Salt

Mix all ingredients, I prefer a zip-lock bag, but a bowl will work. Place in refrigerator 24-48 hours (the longer it sets, the stronger the marinade flavor).
-With oven: Remove beef strips from marinade and place on a cookie cooling rack. Unless you like burned drippings in your oven, you should also put something underneath. Crack oven door open to promote airflow and turn to the lowest setting.
-With dehydrator: place on dehydrator racks.
Dry for 8-12 hours. This time may be even longer or shorter depending on factors such as local humidity, air flow and temperature. Check periodically until done.

We're currently at the 'marinate 24-48 hours' stage. The first (of five batches) will be going into the dehydrator tonight. I have high hopes.
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Got the first batch out. It's quite strong. Pretty good, but strong. I think I'll try this recipe again next time I make some jerky, but I'm going to cut it 50/50 with water.
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:00 am

New recipe time!Very Happy 

New York Style Cheesecake

6 tablespoons melted light margarine
36 graham crackers, crushed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup low fat sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 (8 ounce) packages neufchalte cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar substitute
2/3 cup milk
4 eggs
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest

Directions

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2) Mix graham cracker crumbs and melted butter in a bowl until evenly moistened. Press crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of two 12 inch pie pans.
3) Whisk flour, sour cream, and vanilla extract in bowl. Set aside.
4) Stir neufchalte cheese and sugar with a wooden spoon in a large bowl until evenly incorporated.
5) Pour milk into cheese mixture and whisk until combined.
6) Whisk in eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition.
7) Stir in lemon zest, orange zest, and sour cream mixture; whisk until incorporated.
Cool Pour mixture into prepared pie pans.
9) Bake in the preheated oven until the edges have nicely puffed and the surface of the cheesecake is firm except for a small spot in the center that will jiggle when the pan is gently shaken, about 45 minutes.
10) Place in refrigerator and allow to cool 2-3 hours.

Dietary stuff:
Calories: 4469
Total fat: 295g
Sodium: 6047mg
Carbohydrates: 228
This is based off this recipe with only a few modifications. Also, instead of mixing everything by hand, I used an electric egg beater on the low setting. So much easier. By GODS does this smell good and its taste does not disappoint!
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:52 am

It's been a while since I posted anything here. I tried something new recently and it turned out pretty darn good.

Candied Pumpkin wrote:Ingredients:
1 lb raw pumpkin, peeled and cubed
1 lb sugar
2.5 oz water
3 tbps powdered sugar (optional)

Directions:
Pour water into a pan to heat while slowly stirring in the sugar. Continue to heat and stir until sugar has dissolved and you have a basic thin syrup. Add pumpkin and stir to coat. Cook on low for 15-20 minutes. Remove pumpkin to a bowl, leaving the syrup. Continue to heat syrup until it has reduced from thin to medium. Remember that it is heated and will thicken as it cools. Poor reduced syrup into the bowl with the pumpkin. Cover and let sit overnight. Remove pumpkin from the syrup and place on wire racks or a food dehydrator to dry. Brush syrup over the pieces each hour until gone. Dry pieces until desired texture is reached (usually 48+ hours on racks or 12 hours in a dehydrator). Drying time will vary depending on humidity, temperature, size of pumpkin pieces, personal preference, etc. For ease of storage, pieces may be rolled in powdered sugar.
A couple quick notes: I dried ours in a dehydrator, making sure to rotate the trays each time we stopped to coat the pieces with syrup. They were also fairly large pieces (up to an inch to a side). Also, you'll drip a lot of syrup down through the racks so be sure you have something to catch it or you'll end up with a real mess.

As I said, this turned out really well. The most expensive ingredient is the sugar and if you don't mind getting generic brand (and/or bulk) it's amazingly cheep to make a lot of this stuff. A medium sized pumpkin yields about eight pounds of fruit after cleaning and peeling. I have not had a chance to try this with sugar substitute so I don't know if they syrup will work the same way or not.
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Simple Thanksgiving time!

Basic Roasted Turkey wrote:1 Whole turkey, cleaned
3/4 cups butter (1 1/2 sticks, reduce to 1/2 cup if using stuffing)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325f. Stuff turkey if desired. When stuffing, remember to leave room for expansion. Fold the wingtips behind the shoulders. Secure leg ends together. Place turkey, breast up, on a baking rack in a tray. Melt 1/4 cup butter and brush over the turkey. Place 1/2 cup butter in the body cavity (if stuffing the turkey, place 1/4 cup butter in the bottom of the pan). Place in the oven. Do not cover. Baste every hour. Cook until an internal meat temperature of 165f is reached (15-20 minutes per pound).

Simple Cranberry Sauce wrote:1 Orange
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
12 oz fresh cranberries

Directions:
Grate the orange peel. If you desire more orange flavor, juice the rest of the orange and substitute for some of the water, otherwise give it to the kids or something. Mix all ingredients in a pot then heat on high until a boil is reached. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until about half the cranberries have broken. Remove from heat and chill before serving.

Ranch Mashed Potatoes wrote:5 pounds unpeeled raw potatoes, washed and cubed
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup ranch dressing
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Boil potatoes until soft (about 25 minutes). Drain. Add butter, milk, ranch and seasonings. Mash and stir until smooth.

Green Beans with Almonds wrote:1 pound cut green beans
2 oz. slivered almonds
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Directions:
Cook the green beans in boiling water for about five minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside. In a large skillet saute the almonds and garlic in the oil until golden brown. Add green beans. Continue to saute until beans are warm through and beginning to brown. Remove from heat and serve.

Classic Biscuits wrote:2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening, butter or margarine
3/4 cup milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450f. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in the shortening. Add milk and stir until well mixed. Using a soup spoon, portion onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.

Pumpkin Pie wrote:Crust:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons cold water

Filling:
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425f. Mix flour, salt and oil until even. Sprinkle cold water in while continuing to mix. Form into a ball and press into the bottom of a pie pan and up the sides. Trim any extra with a butter knife. Mix filling ingredients well then pour into pie pan with crust. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350f and bake another 45 minutes. Place on a cooling rack and let stand until room temperature.

Note: canned pumpkin can be replaced with freshly cooked. Clean a pumpkin and cube it, removing the skins. Place in a pot of water and boil for 30-45 minutes. Drain. Run through a blender. All done and ready for use or home canning.

I hope you all had a good Turkey Day! Yes, even you people who don't observe foreign holidays. Cool
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down