FE Page 140

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FE Page 140

Post  Gungnir on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:01 pm

avatar
Gungnir

Posts : 124
Join date : 2011-03-24
Age : 21
Location : Reno, NV

View user profile http://gungnirind.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Page 140 observations

Post  oneuglybunny on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:54 am

"Open mouth, insert foot."
Apparently, Cat has lived a comparatively sheltered existence. Social interactions have mostly been with her own family.
Discoursing with outsiders has, I'm thinking, been few and far between. This would explain Cat's reticence in the early pages.

It would also explain why Cat wears a hair bow. Most college age young women abandon bows as "too girly."
Ronnie makes do with a simple headband, while Dawn goes undecorated, except for ear studs.
I find myself wondering if the artist is aware of the "Put A Bow On Her Head" trope, and is playing with it.
Possibly, Dawn goes unadorned to convey an unpretentious honesty, Surprised while Cat has the kittenish bow to convey naivety. silent
As for Ronnie, her busy, freestyle ears might be conveying a kind of wild abandon extroversion.

Or maybe I'm reading way too much into things. Embarassed
avatar
oneuglybunny

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-03-27
Age : 56
Location : Binghamton, New York, United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FE Page 140

Post  Latrans on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:59 am

You should do an archive binge again. There's an arc in there that specifically references Cat's introversion. She's... not exactly a people person.

As for tropes, I think the cast better fits the Three Faces of Eve. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just a thing.

More to the strip being discussed: Go Cat! You're doing better than last time!
avatar
Latrans

Posts : 969
Join date : 2011-03-29
Age : 34
Location : the quiet place with the matresses on the walls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FE Page 140

Post  Cutekitty on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:23 am

Latrans wrote: As for tropes, I think the cast better fits the Three Faces of Eve. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just a thing.

More to the strip being discussed: Go Cat! You're doing better than last time!

*checks out link* ...That's really interesting, actually... And yeah, I can see it. Cat's so the innocent one, Ronnie's the hot, independent one, and Dawn is very much the motherly figure.

On the comic strip: Haha, yeah, Cat's doing slightly better than last time... barely... maybe... Let's hope that this time she doesn't run off. xD
avatar
Cutekitty

Posts : 445
Join date : 2011-03-25
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FE Page 140

Post  blackgnosis on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:30 pm


Awkwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard!
avatar
blackgnosis

Posts : 197
Join date : 2011-03-25
Age : 34
Location : With the zombie rights activists.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Awkward

Post  kanna172003 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:36 pm

This would be an...unusual relationship since Cat is a cat and Hunter looks like a dog or wolf. I wonder how this could possibly work out.
avatar
kanna172003

Posts : 362
Join date : 2011-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FE Page 140

Post  Mr Ed on Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:24 pm

Okay; so was Hunter going to suggest -Cat- go get towels, or was he offering to get them -for her-? ...and help dry he off??

Just wondering... Is this relationship based on anyone you knew/know? cat pirat

Mr Ed

Posts : 660
Join date : 2011-03-27
Age : 61
Location : central NC

View user profile http://Iron-Ed.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: FE Page 140

Post  blackgnosis on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Mr Ed wrote:Okay; so was Hunter going to suggest -Cat- go get towels, or was he offering to get them -for her-? ...and help dry he off??

Just wondering... Is this relationship based on anyone you knew/know? cat pirat
He prolly would have went with her. and that would be a cute way to meet some one Very Happy
avatar
blackgnosis

Posts : 197
Join date : 2011-03-25
Age : 34
Location : With the zombie rights activists.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FE Page 140

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:27 pm

Mr Ed wrote:Okay; so was Hunter going to suggest -Cat- go get towels, or was he offering to get them -for her-? ...and help dry he off??

Just wondering... Is this relationship based on anyone you knew/know? cat pirat

He was about to suggest they go together to the cafeteria to find some, before getting distracted by her scared expression ^^;
And no, Hunter and Cat's relationship isn't based on the past. But writing has been fun~
avatar
Ellen-Natalie

Posts : 1858
Join date : 2011-03-24
Age : 30

View user profile http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Re: FE Page 140

Post  Latrans on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:55 am

kanna172003 wrote:This would be an...unusual relationship since Cat is a cat and Hunter looks like a dog or wolf. I wonder how this could possibly work out.

I'm going to go with the idea that inter-species/breed relationships within the FE world are somewhat akin to our inter-racial relationships. Basically, "Yeah, they can. So what?". Keep in mind Vikkie's tendency to hit on anything masculine.
avatar
Latrans

Posts : 969
Join date : 2011-03-29
Age : 34
Location : the quiet place with the matresses on the walls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FE Page 140

Post  blackgnosis on Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:19 am

Latrans wrote:
kanna172003 wrote:This would be an...unusual relationship since Cat is a cat and Hunter looks like a dog or wolf. I wonder how this could possibly work out.

I'm going to go with the idea that inter-species/breed relationships within the FE world are somewhat akin to our inter-racial relationships. Basically, "Yeah, they can. So what?". Keep in mind Vikkie's tendency to hit on anything masculine.

It prolly takes one a commonly accepted ground for furries, where they can do what couples do best, but with a difference in species, it wouldn't result in children. For mormons; wouldn't that constitute as a sin or something?
avatar
blackgnosis

Posts : 197
Join date : 2011-03-25
Age : 34
Location : With the zombie rights activists.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FE Page 140

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:49 pm

blackgnosis wrote:
Latrans wrote:
kanna172003 wrote:This would be an...unusual relationship since Cat is a cat and Hunter looks like a dog or wolf. I wonder how this could possibly work out.

I'm going to go with the idea that inter-species/breed relationships within the FE world are somewhat akin to our inter-racial relationships. Basically, "Yeah, they can. So what?". Keep in mind Vikkie's tendency to hit on anything masculine.

It prolly takes one a commonly accepted ground for furries, where they can do what couples do best, but with a difference in species, it wouldn't result in children. For mormons; wouldn't that constitute as a sin or something?

For inter-species relationships, I took a page from Original Life and Kevin and Kell-it's possible, but one parent's genes would probably be dominant.
avatar
Ellen-Natalie

Posts : 1858
Join date : 2011-03-24
Age : 30

View user profile http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Furry as a parallel, not paraphysics

Post  oneuglybunny on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:15 pm

{Quote}For inter-species relationships, I took a page from Original Life and Kevin and Kell: it's possible, but one parent's genes would probably be dominant.{Unquote}

The "funny animal" convention used in this web comic works as a parallel to human society. The different species reflect social strata, rather than taxonomy. Canines can be viewed as gregarious and outgoing, very casual and chummy. In the French language, the word for dog, chien is always masculine, regardless of the dog's gender. Similarly, felines can be distrustful and aloof, contemplative and introspective. In French, the word for cat, chat is always feminine. I believe the artist, Natalie, uses funny animals as surrogate humans to reflect personality types. In almost all other respects, her characters live and function according to real-world social dynamics. How else could one explain why Vicki the fox doesn't attack her natural prey, Ronnie the rabbit?

As one other note: being something of an artist myself, I've found that drawing humans consistently to be rather challenging. I would not be surprised to learn that artists who routinely draw human characters use physical models such as maquettes. Also, people tend to nose in on me when I draw people, but are less intrusive when I'm drawing cartoonish characters. Cool
avatar
oneuglybunny

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-03-27
Age : 56
Location : Binghamton, New York, United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FE Page 140

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum