The Games We Play

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Games We Play

Post  Teric on Fri May 24, 2013 10:26 am

I'm also a big RPG fan myself--I'm currently playing through Mass Effect 2 for the fourth time (this time on the insane difficulty). Played Skyrim, Dragon Age: Origins, Oblivion, many of the Final Fantasy series, etc.

Teric

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitches1974 on Fri May 24, 2013 10:46 am

Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior were the 2 games that got me hooked into the genre. I stopped completing FF games after 7, as they plain sucked after that. I have played 8, X, and XII and hated them. I ven tried that bastard game Dirge of Cerberus. I have played many of the older series like Phantasy Star and Shining Force. I even own the Final Fantasy: Origins and Chronicles for the PS, as well as Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Xenogears etc.... I'm still looking for a cheap Eternal Blue. I still own a PS2 just to play Dragon Quest VIII and will eventually get the Xenosaga trilogy.

Still trying to get a grip on the bastardized versions of the RPG ( Western RPG's ). As they are more action/adventure than RPG. Yeah, I'll play some of them, but they don't hold a candle to JRPG's, but that is my opinion. I'm always open to try new series and games. I actually enjoy the Tales series. I've played Vesperia on the Xbox, but wish there was an English version for the PS3. Graces F was good and Xillia is already preordered. Eventually I will try the NIS games, as some of them have caught my eye.
Stitches1974

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor_Fox on Wed May 29, 2013 12:04 pm

I know recently I've been playing Dust: An Elysian Tail. I'm almost completely through with it. It's a pretty awesome game. The artwork is great--the fact that I'm studying animation right now made me appreciate many things about the game even more.

I guess it would fall under Action RPG. If anyone has heard or played Muramasa for the Wii, it's in a similar vein to that.

Have also been playing League of Legends and Smite recently. Fun MOBA's that I like to play off and on.
Trevor_Fox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Teric on Wed May 29, 2013 12:19 pm

I saw 'Dust' on Steam, and I was intrigued. But I don't know enough about it to decide whether to get it. I'm all for any game that goes fully furry, and I want to support that. How do you like the gameplay? Engaging? Quick action? Or more drawn-out and strategic? Is it compelling all the way through, or does it eventually become repetitive?

Teric

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitches1974 on Wed May 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Teric wrote:I saw 'Dust' on Steam, and I was intrigued. But I don't know enough about it to decide whether to get it. I'm all for any game that goes fully furry, and I want to support that. How do you like the gameplay? Engaging? Quick action? Or more drawn-out and strategic? Is it compelling all the way through, or does it eventually become repetitive?

Thanks for that. Looks like I know what my next STEAM game will be and for $13.49, I think it's a good price.
Stitches1974

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor_Fox on Wed May 29, 2013 12:38 pm

[quote="Stitches1974"]
Teric wrote:I saw 'Dust' on Steam, and I was intrigued. But I don't know enough about it to decide whether to get it. I'm all for any game that goes fully furry, and I want to support that. How do you like the gameplay? Engaging? Quick action? Or more drawn-out and strategic? Is it compelling all the way through, or does it eventually become repetitive?

Here's a few things I know. The developer is not a furry, but he went with an art style that he thought was fun. He originally made the game using humans and thought it was boring, so he changed it.

Also, this game was completely drawn and developed by one man: Dean Dodrill. Yes, he did get help further down the road with publishing and voice-acting, but the game is still his creation. He worked on this game for 3 or 4 years before it was finally made available.

The gameplay is quick, fast-paced action. Playing through Hardcore Mode now requires me to use the dodge move a lot more, and time my aerial attacks better. But it's been an absolute blast.

I really enjoyed the story. While it follows a typical hero story, I really love the way it was presented. The author covers some good themes in this game, and I enjoyed the message presented. The characters are loveable, and while I wasn't thrilled about the voice acting on some of them at first, over time, it really grew on me, and the voices suit the characters they belong to.

I went for a 100 percent completion on my first playthrough and it gave me roughly 15 and a half hours of gameplay. And I'm playing it through again to completely get all the achievements. Also because I enjoy it so much. =3
Trevor_Fox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitches1974 on Wed May 29, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks for the review. Makes me want to play it more.
Stitches1974

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitches1974 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:02 pm

Just got Star Ocean 4, 2 weeks ago and just started playing it. I'm about 21 hours into the game and just got a character named Meracle. Lets just say she's a bad arse in dealing damage. Here's an in game photo I took of her.

Game is pretty decent. It's not a button mashing game, unless you want it to be. You have to time specific attacks/ abilities to get the most out of them and gain bonuses. You can have only 4 in your party and 8 characters total. I only have 6 at the moment. Waiting to get my next healer char, as the one I have now is an annoying kid that says "kay" every time she talks and it's getting on my nerves.
Stitches1974

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:53 pm

*sigh* I admit I get jealous of the games described her sometimes - they sound so fun, but I don't have time to play console games like I used to! (For example, got a new PS3 game during the Christmas season last year. Played it for a few hours during the two days I had off work, and just last week I had time to pick it up again for an hour. >.< )

But as I've been packing, I've noticed some of my older games I'd like to find time to play again-most notably, Pokemon Blue in ITA. I'm pretty sure the ITA stands for 'Italian', because the entire game is in a foreign European language. It came from a used game store that sold it to me instead of an English one by mistake. (If you look carefully on the game itself, English ones will read 'ENG'.) I still don't understand the language at all, but thanks to Pokemon Red I'm so familiar with the gameplay I can figure out which scribbles represent which attacks and HMs. It's an entirely new way to enjoy a game that had become auto-pilot for me. Smile
Ellen-Natalie

View user profile http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitches1974 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Ellen-Natalie wrote:*sigh* I admit I get jealous of the games described her sometimes - they sound so fun, but I don't have time to play console games like I used to! (For example, got a new PS3 game during the Christmas season last year. Played it for a few hours during the two days I had off work, and just last week I had time to pick it up again for an hour. >.< )

But as I've been packing, I've noticed some of my older games I'd like to find time to play again-most notably, Pokemon Blue in ITA. I'm pretty sure the ITA stands for 'Italian', because the entire game is in a foreign European language. It came from a used game store that sold it to me instead of an English one by mistake. (If you look carefully on the game itself, English ones will read 'ENG'.) I still don't understand the language at all, but thanks to Pokemon Red I'm so familiar with the gameplay I can figure out which scribbles represent which attacks and HMs. It's an entirely new way to enjoy a game that had become auto-pilot for me. Smile

I can relate, but I'm the exact reverse of you. Due to injuries I got from being in the Army, I can't work anymore. So, I spend 2-3 hours a week doing yard and house work. The rest of the time I try to keep occupied by replaying movies and games and it gets old real quick. No family either and I end up being stuck in the house all the time. I would love to be able to work again.

If you like Pokemon type games, try Ni No Kuni for the PS3 if you ever get any free time. I got bored with it fast, but it may be something you'd like.
Stitches1974

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:55 am

One of our local department stores is closing down, so my husband finally got the 3DS he'd been wanting at a low price. He wanted to pick up games for it we could both play, (I don't much like shooting or fighting, I prefer solving puzzles and making friends,) so we got 'Animal Crossing: New Leaf.'

Never played an AC game before, but I've really been enjoying it-for a rather unusual reason. For those who haven't played it before, the whole point of this game is building a life for yourself, starting over in a brand-new place. And in about five weeks, that's going to be happening to me as we move across the country. I know it won't be exactly the same, but if I can build a happy life for myself in a town where everyone walks around at night carrying large shovels, I can build a happy one in Tennessee, too.

I just wish Nook's Homes had later hours-by the time I finish my comic/commission work and have time to play, they're always closed! I'm rich but living in a tent >.>
Ellen-Natalie

View user profile http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitches1974 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:01 am

Hopefully the move is a smoothe transition for you and your family. My last move was from Indiana to Missouri and was a pain, but atleast I'm not living in NY anymore.
Stitches1974

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor_Fox on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Good luck with your move! I always cheated at Animal Crossing by adjusting the time to fit my schedule. Growing up, my parents had a rule that there were no video games to be played on Sunday. But that was the only day Joan would come to town and sell turnips! And the only way for me to make tons of bells quickly! Although, when playing Animal Crossing: City Folk on the Wii, my new method of acquiring bells is to get a fruit from a neighboring town, or one that your in-game Mom mails you, then plant so many trees that it dwarfs the size of your town's natural fruit. Tom Nook will buy those for 500 bells a pop. I can make about 1,000,000 bells in one hour, but that's still not enough to purchase everything I need from Gracie. >_>

Recently, I've gotten back into World of Warcraft. They've changed everything so much in that game. Leveling up, finding quests, exploring, and doing dungeons with Pick-Up Groups is so much easier now. I feel happy and sad all at the same time with how much things have changed. I made a Worgen character (werewolf), named him Easau (Esau was already taken), made him a hunter and named my first pet Porridge. I'm still waiting for someone in the game to get the biblical joke here. =P
So far my pets are a fox named Puddin', a turtle named Leonardo, a spider named Aragog, and a T-rex named Littlefoot. If you couldn't tell all of my interests from the names I gave them.... Heh heh. Sadly, once I came across my first fox, Porridge had to go. I had no space and I wanted a fox.

Also, I've been playing a Journey on the PS3. This is a very short game, however; a really visually amazing one. This is a game showing that games are artwork, and I would highly recommend it. It's an incredible experience.
Trevor_Fox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitches1974 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:01 pm

Playing Tales of Xillia now. A very excellent game. "Link" I'm 30 or so hours into the game and just now starting chapter 3/5 of Jude's path. After I beat the game, I still have Milla's path to go. Probably another 70 hours + hours of game play. It's worth a look at if you're a fan of RPGs
Stitches1974

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitches1974 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Just beat the game with 54 hours played. That's completing about 85 % of all the titles and a bunch of achievements. Titles give grade, points to spend on bonuses on your next play through. Now, I have a 30 floor bonus dungeon to finish. After that's done, I've got Milla's side to play.
Stitches1974

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor_Fox on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:03 am

I admit, I've been wanting to play that game since I heard about it. The last Tales game I played was Symphonia on the GCN. I missed Tales of Graces on the Wii, but I'll end up picking up Tales of Graces F for the PS3 eventually.
Trevor_Fox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stitches1974 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:19 am

Trevor_Fox wrote:I admit, I've been wanting to play that game since I heard about it. The last Tales game I played was Symphonia on the GCN. I missed Tales of Graces on the Wii, but I'll end up picking up Tales of Graces F for the PS3 eventually.
Graces F is an excellent game and there is a lot to do in it. You won't be disappointed. As for Sympnoia, Bamco is making a HD remake for the PS3 in early 2014. Tales of Xillia 2 will also be released next year.
Stitches1974

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor_Fox on Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:44 pm

I just finished Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Now, I really love horror games. This one did not disappoint. I'd heard about this game. How scary it was and how it had a sanity meter which made you hallucinate monsters and such if it got too low. I know other games have used this feature, but this was the first one I played that used that.

The game does keep you on edge, but towards the end, I started to get used to the predictability of the monsters that appeared. I knew how to hide, and I knew how to avoid them. It didn't stop my hand from jerking the mouse everywhere when one of them caught me off guard. While it did get a bit predictable and lose it's edge at the very end, I still enjoyed the game and it offered exactly what I wanted from it.

I will say this, too. I did not expect the story that I got from the game. It was dark. It was unnerving. I really didn't expect it to be there. I just went into this game expecting some horror as I avoided monsters while going through the castle. I got a lot more than that.
Trevor_Fox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Cardinal on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:14 pm

I can't stop listening to this song from the Wonderful 101.

Got no fame, or fortune to claim,
fighting for the status quo!
Don their masks, and take them to task,
hurry now it's time to go!
Mr. Cardinal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:49 am

*performs dark necromantic acts in the deep recesses of the forums*

I got a copy of Elder Scrolls: Skyrim for Christmas and have had some fun playing it. Being most familiar with Morrowind prior to this a few things have jumped out at me. First, combat (both magic and melee) is MUCH easier. Point and kill. Having a low level in a skill only limits the perks you can get from that skill set. This makes *everything* easier, really. This makes the game a lot easier to start, but really limits my long-term goals to "level grind for perk points" and "side quests".

Also, because the skill trees have been simplified, it also means that you can't super-customize your character's abilities the way you could in Morrowind. This, again, is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, I really liked having to work for and micro-manage just exactly what my character is capable of doing in Morrowind. On the other, it removes the (almost ridiculously easy and numerous) game-breaking items and potions that were possible before (constant effect enchantments were some of the most over-powered things in the game).

The game world, however, is a huge improvement over Morrowind. And if you are familiar with Morrowind, you know just how high a bar had been set. I love that the world is so big and detailed. Little things like interactive puzzles in the dungeons just make me giddy. Still, I've only found two towns with shop-keeps in them so far, and given how quickly you can load yourself up with plunder, buying a horse is an absolute MUST. Just don't get in a fight with anything while the horse is around. Stupid equine are freakishly suicidal. Also, buy a house as soon as possible. People can and will make off with anything you leave lying around and/or in a chest you don't own. The only safe places are in your possession and in your house.

Speaking of buying things like horses and houses, remember all that plunder I mentioned? You will quickly find yourself rolling in gold. While this makes starting out nice, I'm worried for my long-term goals again. If I can just afford any- and everything, where is the challenge?
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum