Artistic Context

Go down

Artistic Context Empty Artistic Context

Post  Frer Squirrel on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:23 pm

It seems to me that one strong artistic context of this comic strip is fursuiting and cosplay. But, I see almost no discussion of it elsewhere in the forum! (Except for one announcement by the artist of a contest in 2011.) For evidence, I notice that in the present arc, the first panel shows realistically drawn deer, in strong contrast to the characters which clearly have human dimensions, as if to say, "Look, I can draw real deer too". All characters have uniformly sized human proportions, in contrast to Disney's Bambi, for example. I recall a previous panel where two deer tried to kiss, but bumped noses instead, which would be a common obstacle in costumes. The theme of sewing capes dominating a characters life seems a bit inconsistent with simplicity of capes, but would make sense in the context of making costumes. It all begs the question, is the artist drawing on experience as a drama teacher?

For my own context, the closest I have come to fursuiting were bunny and dinosaur costumes at Halloween decades ago. I tend to always have interest in what an artist or author is trying to communicate through his or her work, and why.

Frer Squirrel
Frer Squirrel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Artistic Context Empty Re: Artistic Context

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:36 pm

Wow, that's such interesting feedback - I've never had anyone make those connections before! Very Happy

I love your Fursuit theory, but I have admit it was not on my mind when creating the characters and how they interact. However, what was on my mind is closely related - cartoons. Not as realistic as Bambi, but having toony-looking characters in a real world setting was what captured my interested in the Furry Fandom to begin with.

One of the unofficial rules of comic-making is to not shift the tone of the story. It's either serious, or funny. You can have funny moments in a serious comic, and visa-versa, but constantly switching between the two tones usually confuses the reader about what they should be feeling. BUT, every rule of comic can be broken - and the Furry Fandom comics broke this in a great way. The toony appearance of the characters made the comedic arcs feel appropriate, and their real world setting made serious arcs feel relatable. Experimenting with this concept got me excited to draw after being in a slump for awhile.
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

View user profile http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum