Alice's Antipathy

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Alice's Antipathy

Post  Rising Blue on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:39 pm

So, from what it seems, Alice is generally nice and friendly unless you happen to be Diana.
Rising Blue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Renadt on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:58 am

I have gathered that Alice is very shallow- she isn't doing these nice things because reasons, she wants the world to see her in a certain light, and Diana can see right through it. Also, Diana has two things that she wants- genuine talent (Diana can make her own clothes) and the man she is after. She has to rationalize this behavior to paint Diana as the antagonist, otherwise she would have to break her entire worldview, and that can kill people.
Renadt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sneak Peak page 412

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:39 am

The evil cape of smugness
Ellen-Natalie

View user profile http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Renadt on Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:20 am

I was wrong about my reasons. Still gather that she's shallow, and jumps at the chance to see herself as a "hero of the downtrodden," no matter how wrong she is.
Renadt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 412

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:04 am

Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rising Blue on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Little Red Riding Hood? Is Alice the Big Bad Wolf?
Rising Blue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 413 Sneak Peak

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:36 pm

Page 413: Diana tries selling her cloak to a new patron OC~
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Renadt on Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:34 am

Honestly, I am beginning to hate Alice. She's shallow, self righteous, and vain. She relies on the easy things to justify her own "heroine" image. She uses "recycling" as an excuse to say she "cares about the environment," but wouldn't want to dirty up her hands to actually help the environment, such as picking up the trash or planting trees. She sees Diana as stuck up, when she is only confident in her abilities (and can back up her claims). Alice cannot create, and therefore must destroy, and her excuses give me inner bile for her.
Renadt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:39 pm

I'm having to bite my tongue so very hard. I want to defend Alice, but I don't know where this arc is going and I don't want to spoil the story. I will say that there is a LOT that could be said against Diana as well as to bolster Alice's positive self views. I maintain, still, that if it weren't for the previous arc, we'd be rooting for Alice right now.
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Renadt wrote:Honestly, I am beginning to hate Alice. She's shallow, self righteous, and vain. She relies on the easy things to justify her own "heroine" image. She uses "recycling" as an excuse to say she "cares about the environment," but wouldn't want to dirty up her hands to actually help the environment, such as picking up the trash or planting trees. She sees Diana as stuck up, when she is only confident in her abilities (and can back up her claims). Alice cannot create, and therefore must destroy, and her excuses give me inner bile for her.

I think this is a little premature and severe. Habitual recycling does make a difference over time, every bit as much as going out and doing a bigger thing for a day does, and the latter can also be done more for one's self-image than a genuine desire to help, just as you say recycling can. We also technically don't have proof that she doesn't "dirty up her hands." It's totally possible that she doesn't. It's also possible that she does.

Granted, as of right now, I find it pretty difficult to relate to or sympathize with Alice (same goes for Diana, to a certain extent). But this whole arc so far has had Alice trying to tell us things about herself, which is very prone to coming across as self-justification. If it shifts away from Alice narrating everything and toward just showing us her actions, that might help. Whatever happens in the rest of this arc may or may not also help.
Cutekitty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:04 pm

I suspect that IF we had not already had the first arc with Diana and Alice we would mostly be cutting Alice a lot more slack here. Before that arc the little glimpses we'd had of Diana sort of gave her the look of an unreliable lightweight. Obviously Diana and Alice already know of each other fairly well; we just don't know it's context other than it was at least partly through school.

Mr Ed

View user profile http://Iron-Ed.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:00 am

New patron oc is seriously pretty!   (Hmm..  I need to get Ferric in here somehow. ;-) )

Mr Ed

View user profile http://Iron-Ed.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Page 413

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:26 am

Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Slim Shadow on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:47 pm

Slim Shadow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Legalien on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:10 pm

Oy. High school drama. I am SO glad that part of my life is over.

On to the comic: Mei obviously doesn't know anything about drafting up and creating a piece of clothing, and the particular skill set (clothing design and construction) that we've seen Diana has. Yes, to draft up a design and pattern, cut it out, cut out the material for the prototype, pin it together, sew it together, and then make a few other versions until the process has been fine-tuned and each finished piece's appearance and quality is consistent WOULD take weeks. Now that Diana has it down to a science, she should be able to whip out each cloak in a timely manner (I speak from experience, having made costumes/cosplay for myself and friends for years. The first few times, yeah, it takes weeks, but now I can whip out certain costumes within three days or less, and they're still high-quality).

I think Alice's reaction to Diana's comment about her cloak being a bold and original statement indicates that Alice has some sort of insecurity or jealousy of Diana's fashion sense and talents, not to mention she wants to be the girl Louis is dating instead of Diana. I think it's safe to say that Alice probably is a good person most of the time, but when that green-eyed monster shows up (possibly coupled with insecurity/low self-esteem, which Alice's self-introduction could also indicate), even a very nice and good person can become absolutely awful. Throw in the hormones that are still raging through a high-school girl's body and the not-fully-developed brain that all teenagers have, and voila! Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde, at your service.

Art-wise, I LOVE the snarl on Alice's face! That little wrinkle on the bridge of her nose/muzzle is a really nice touch. It really makes her emotion jump off the page.
Legalien

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rising Blue on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:33 pm

Legalien wrote:not to mention she wants to be the girl Louis is dating instead of Diana.

Are they actually dating? We saw them together at that bargain ball thing but, not much other than that. The way Louis acts around her makes me think best friend rather than boyfriend.

But since Alice likes him, and he spends most of his time with Diana, in her view Diana is competition.
Rising Blue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Legalien on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:56 am

Rising Blue wrote:
Legalien wrote:not to mention she wants to be the girl Louis is dating instead of Diana.

Are they actually dating? We saw them together at that bargain ball thing but, not much other than that. The way Louis acts around her makes me think best friend rather than boyfriend.

But since Alice likes him, and he spends most of his time with Diana, in her view Diana is competition.

You make a good point! I just assumed Louis and Diana were dating because the three times we've seen him, he was with Diana (the first being on an actual date together); however they could just as easily be friends. Smile In any case, what matters is that (as you also pointed out), Alice sees Diana as competition, therefore (if previous behaviors are any indication) she's going to be rather catty.
Legalien

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:56 am

Legalien wrote:she's going to be rather catty.

Hey, now. No need to start throwing racial slurs around. Wink Razz

On a more serious note...
From a different perspective, how would you react if you saw someone ripping off unsuspecting people?
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Legalien on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:33 pm

Latrans wrote:On a more serious note...
From a different perspective, how would you react if you saw someone ripping off unsuspecting people?

Good question. I'd have to say (and speaking only for myself) that it would depend on whether I KNEW someone was ripping off unsuspecting people, or I only thought he/she was ripping them off. If I suspected people were being ripped off, I'd ask the person whom I suspected of being a charlatan a few pointed and relevant questions about the product/services being offered, to try to analyze if it was truly a scam or my own suspicious nature/biases affecting my perceptions/opinions about the services/products being offered. On the other hand, if I knew someone was being a con-artist I'd quietly approach other people who were considering what was being offered, and warn them away with my reasons for doing so. It really depends on the situation, I suppose.
Legalien

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 414 Sneak Peak

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Page 414: Louis used to be even fluffier
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rising Blue on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:04 am

Used to be? Is this a flashback?
Rising Blue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:53 am

Possibly a "You think he's fluffy now? You should have seen him then."

In related news, I now wonder what Louis would look like with an '80's hair metal 'do. Twisted Evil
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 414

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:25 pm

Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  The J.A.M. on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 am

Very 70's.
The J.A.M.

View user profile https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi

Back to top Go down

Post  kanna172003 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:40 am

I think I'm seeing the problem. Diana can get away with outlandish fashions while Alice gets picked on when she to tries to make a statement. I wouldn't be surprised if Diana has bullied Alice about her clothes at one point. Not saying that Alice is not partly to blame but we've already seen that Diana is no saint either.
kanna172003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum