Modest is Hottest?

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Modest is Hottest?

Post  Mr Ed on Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:57 pm

And here I thought that was her attitude adjustment knob.  Rolling Eyes Laughing 

Mr Ed

View user profile http://Iron-Ed.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Sneak Peak page 361

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:07 pm

Page 361: Still deciding what kind of light fixtures should be in the apartment...
Ellen-Natalie

View user profile http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:21 pm

It's a first-time-living-away-from-home college kids' apartment. . . Cheap and easily replaced fixtures!  Laughing Wink

Mr Ed

View user profile http://Iron-Ed.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Page 361

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:01 pm

Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  kanna172003 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:48 am

I have a feeling I know where this is going.
kanna172003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor_Fox on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:22 am

Oh, Vikki. How could you?! Ignorance is no excuse for what you have done!

In the fifth panel, Mariah's expression seems a little strained. Like the smile is a put-on and she has already guessed what they were talking about, but is attempting to be polite by asking anyway.

I also enjoy how Mariah's expression changed dramatically from the sketch of her where she's all smiles to a look of sheer annoyance.

One last thing I just noticed. I assume that rather than pick a light fixture for the apartment at the moment, you had Vikki's speech bubble cover up where it's location would have been? =P
Trevor_Fox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The J.A.M. on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:27 am

I'm not sure what's going on here...
The J.A.M.

View user profile https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:43 am

Trevor_Fox wrote:One last thing I just noticed. I assume that rather than pick a light fixture for the apartment at the moment, you had Vikki's speech bubble cover up where it's location would have been? =P

I actually did pick a light fixture - the smaller, round one. And then it got covered up by the speech bubble anyway. Rolling Eyes 
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:55 am

I like your use of pink tinting for the memory; it creates a cool effect that has a slightly different feel from your usual pages. Kind of like there's a slight haze over it. Like, if I totally overanalyze here, the scene is being filtered through Vikki's mind and imbued with the essence of how she sees the world. Or else the color represents the nature of the issue at hand...

Anyway! I'm curious to see what Vikki did to inadvertently upset Mariah (as a side note, it's quite interesting to see a character who usually appears cheerful look so irritated). I've got a couple of vague guesses but am not sure about either of them.
Cutekitty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Cutekitty wrote:I like your use of pink tinting for the memory; it creates a cool effect that has a slightly different feel from your usual pages. Kind of like there's a slight haze over it.

You may also notice a lack of shading and desaturation of the colors. Wink
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kanna172003 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:00 pm

Cutekitty wrote:I like your use of pink tinting for the memory; it creates a cool effect that has a slightly different feel from your usual pages. Kind of like there's a slight haze over it. Like, if I totally overanalyze here, the scene is being filtered through Vikki's mind and imbued with the essence of how she sees the world. Or else the color represents the nature of the issue at hand...

Anyway! I'm curious to see what Vikki did to inadvertently upset Mariah (as a side note, it's quite interesting to see a character who usually appears cheerful look so irritated). I've got a couple of vague guesses but am not sure about either of them.

Look at how Vikki's dressed and then look at the title of the arc.
kanna172003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Latrans wrote: You may also notice a lack of shading and desaturation of the colors. Wink

Ohhh! Yeah, I see how that works now. xD

kanna172003 wrote:
Cutekitty wrote:I like your use of pink tinting for the memory; it creates a cool effect that has a slightly different feel from your usual pages. Kind of like there's a slight haze over it. Like, if I totally overanalyze here, the scene is being filtered through Vikki's mind and imbued with the essence of how she sees the world. Or else the color represents the nature of the issue at hand...

Look at how Vikki's dressed and then look at the title of the arc.

Like I said, I have guesses. I do suspect Vikki wore more revealing clothing than fits Mariah's modesty standards, and it either a) made Jacob uncomfortable or b) attracted attention that made Mariah jealous. I think a) is more likely than b) because of what Helen started to say. But I don't know for sure. There's also that off chance that modesty refers to attitude, as in not being a braggart, though I think that's unlikely; none of Vikki's behavior has struck me as particularly arrogant or braggart-y.

Interesting observation about Vikki's clothes. I never would have registered Vikki's outfit as potentially immodest on my own (if that's not what you're referring to, please correct me). It looked like standard casual wear to me, actually the sort of thing I'd wear in warm weather, except I prefer T-shirts over tanks. xD With Vikki's outfit, the entire torso and most of the thighs are covered. Just how strict are Mariah's standards?
Cutekitty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor_Fox on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:11 am

Cutekitty wrote:
Interesting observation about Vikki's clothes. I never would have registered Vikki's outfit as potentially immodest on my own (if that's not what you're referring to, please correct me). It looked like standard casual wear to me, actually the sort of thing I'd wear in warm weather, except I prefer T-shirts over tanks. xD With Vikki's outfit, the entire torso and most of the thighs are covered. Just how strict are Mariah's standards?

I imagine Vikki thinks the same thing about her outfit being perfectly fine (and I myself think that it is fine). Here is the dressing standard for women at BYU.

Women
A clean and well-cared-for appearance should be maintained. Clothing is inappropriate when it is sleeveless, strapless, backless, or revealing; has slits above the knee; or is form fitting. Dresses, skirts, and shorts must be knee-length or longer. Hairstyles should be clean and neat, avoiding extremes in styles or colors. Excessive ear piercing (more than one per ear) and all other body piercing are not acceptable. Shoes should be worn in all public campus areas.

and for men:

Men
A clean and well-cared-for appearance should be maintained. Clothing is inappropriate when it is sleeveless, revealing, or form fitting. Shorts must be knee-length or longer. Hairstyles should be clean and neat, avoiding extreme styles or colors, and trimmed above the collar, leaving the ear uncovered. Sideburns should not extend below the earlobe or onto the cheek. If worn, moustaches should be neatly trimmed and may not extend beyond or below the corners of the mouth. Men are expected to be clean-shaven; beards are not acceptable. Earrings and other body piercing are not acceptable. Shoes should be worn in all public campus areas.

I imagine Mariah and her roommates adhere to this at all times.

I'm letting my hair grow out over my ears a bit right now. I'm a rebel!
Trevor_Fox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sneak Peak page 362

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:58 am

Page 362: Sarah's running late
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikachao on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:34 am

Trevor_Fox wrote:I'm letting my hair grow out over my ears a bit right now. I'm a rebel!

Sometimes my roommates at BYUI would wear sandals walking through campus. They lived their life on the edge
Pikachao

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:54 am

Trevor_Fox: Good golly.  Shocked That's pretty strict. And I know strict; my high school required uniforms! With nametags! And its skirts had to be 21 inches unless a dean approved a shortening for someone short and its shirts had to be tucked and buttoned. Except on casual dress days, where "modesty and good taste in apparel choices are expected at all times. Beards and mustaches are not allowed. Shorts must be walking shorts. No skin tight pants are permitted. Some examples of types of clothing that may not be worn on casual dress days are: torn or defaced clothing, sophie shorts, yoga pants, jeggings, mini-skirts, tank tops, midriff tops, halter-tops, bare-shoulder tops, low-cut or backless apparel, or see-through tops." (I kept my school planner for the doodles I drew inside it.  Laughing ) They had the hair-past-collar-rule too but not the ear rule for men, and shorts on casual days could be above the knee as long as they weren't short shorts. Unnatural-looking hairdyes, mohawks, excessive piercings, tattoos, and the like also weren't allowed, though. Shoes had to be close-toed and an "appropriate" fit for the uniform (so no sneakers on most days except for in gym... alas), socks had to reach the ankle but couldn't be thigh-high or fishnet stockings, and excessive or "garish-looking jewelry" was banned.

But that was high school. And only at, well, high school, and for school days. A college campus is obviously more full-time and much larger, and I'm used to thinking of it as a place where students are much less regulated than in high school.

That certainly explains where Mariah's probably coming from, though. Again, good golly.
Cutekitty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:25 pm

Cutekitty wrote:Good golly.  Shocked That's pretty strict.

Many people in and out of the school would agree with you it's overly strict. But at the end of the day, BYU is a private university, they can set whatever requirements they wish for their students. And if you've been raised LDS in Utah Valley like the majority of the student body, odds are you're already used to it. Many of those requirements align with the modesty standards of the church itself. If you're interested, you can read more about that here: https://www.lds.org/youth/for-the-strength-of-youth/dress-and-appearance?lang=eng  (You'll have to click on the 'shore more' button for more specifics.)
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  The J.A.M. on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:52 pm

It took me about 2 years to realize I was FINALLY out of high school and I could let my hair grow past my collar line.

And that's where I've kept it now  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
The J.A.M.

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyKaden on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:40 pm

I heard a few public schools (Non-college level)had similar rules... A friend in Salt Lake is rather vocal about standards being forced on her in the past... ^^;

I'm in agreaance with CuteKitty... I suppose this is a benefit for being at a school I can just be online for, but not even my high school was ever that strict. o.o

Now to stare and wait for Monday.
LadyKaden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:49 pm

I probably wouldn't fit in well. I've a braid down to between my shoulder blades and a goatee. Also a habit of forgetting to shave for a week or so. My dress is a bit more "acceptable": t-shirt, cargo pants and jungle boots. Rolling Eyes 
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kanna172003 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:36 pm

Something I noticed, that the longer you read this comic, the less you notice that the characters are animals, at least in my case. Sorry for being random, but I was re-reading this comic and I just realized that Helen's a horse. I mean, I knew it on an unconscious level but this was the first time my brain processed it.
kanna172003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 362

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:04 am

Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Trevor_Fox on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:22 am

Oh snap, Sarah lost one of her handouts!
Trevor_Fox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The J.A.M. on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:56 am

I still don't get it.
The J.A.M.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:57 am

The J.A.M. wrote:I still don't get it.