Inspections Arc

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Inspections Arc

Post  Latrans on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:46 am

I have a can of beer on my bookshelf that's from some time around the turn of the century. I really don't know why I'm keeping it (I don't even drink) but I also don't want to get rid of it (much to my ladyfriend's chagrin). Rolling Eyes
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kanna172003 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:47 am

RONNIE!! EWWWW!!
kanna172003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:52 am

Latrans wrote:I have a can of beer on my bookshelf that's from some time around the turn of the century. ... Rolling Eyes
Apparently the vacuum knows where Cat sheds the most! Or just wants to save time. Rolling Eyes

LOL! I have a jar of moonshine in my refrigerator (really!). And I don't drink either!

Mr Ed

View user profile http://Iron-Ed.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffCvt on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:39 am

The bread when "swish swish?"

If that's the bread, then what did the old bowl of soup do?
JeffCvt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:22 am

....Yechhh. I would NOT want to be the one cleaning the kitchen. I think I'd most rather clean the sitting room... crazy vacuum and all. XD
Cutekitty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:57 am

The vacuum isn't crazy. It knows exactly where the source of the mess is coming from! Very Happy
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The J.A.M. on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:37 am

And Cat is too stupid to think of just turning the thing off....
The J.A.M.

View user profile https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi

Back to top Go down

Post  LeonMcBane on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:44 am

The J.A.M. wrote:And Cat is too stupid to think of just turning the thing off....

Just in panic mode, really.
LeonMcBane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  THE COLONEL on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:57 am

Panic? maybe. Stubborn??? Definately! Laughing
THE COLONEL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:28 pm

JeffCvt wrote:If that's the bread, then what did the old bowl of soup do?

The old soup goes 'THUD THUD' Very Happy
Ellen-Natalie

View user profile http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:10 am

Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah_TV on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:17 am

Cats and Dogs! Living together! Mass Hysteria!
Sarah_TV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:32 am

If I recall correctly, this is the first mention of Cat's last name.

Anywho... Mrs. Pudelhund towards Cat is visually familiar with positive inclinations, but using Title-Formal Given-Family. I'm going to guess a friend of Cat's parents and possibly an active member of their congregation. Either way, use of Cat's full formal name dictates that our poodle is higher on the social chain of command than Cat. However, she's unlikely to be a teacher or baby-sitter, as dealing with someone on a personal and regular basis would generally cause you to use either a shortened moniker or just Title-Family ("Cat" or "Miss Feline", respectively).

Also, reaction to Cat aside, it says a LOT about her personality that a person in her position should have the names of the tenants written down and while matching faces with names could understandably be difficult given the volume of people (accidentally calling someone by their roommate's name), at least knowing who's probably occupying the units is just a good idea. At least pretending to try and remember names goes a LONG way to fostering good relations. On the other hand, boiling them down to 'Tenant of Apartment A8' and then pointedly stating it as such is a maneuver to clearly state who's in charge and then thump them over the head with it. This is driven home as well by two other facts. First, Dawn addressed her by Title-Given. In this context it is a "sign of respect due authority" and so Mrs. P's status has already been recognized. Second, Mrs. P blew right by both Dawn and Ronnie without even acknowledging them. A move like this states "you are not worth my attention".

I hope that made sense. I really should write a wall-o-text at 3am... Rolling Eyes
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kanna172003 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:56 am

Latrans wrote:If I recall correctly, this is the first mention of Cat's last name.

Anywho... Mrs. Pudelhund towards Cat is visually familiar with positive inclinations, but using Title-Formal Given-Family. I'm going to guess a friend of Cat's parents and possibly an active member of their congregation. Either way, use of Cat's full formal name dictates that our poodle is higher on the social chain of command than Cat. However, she's unlikely to be a teacher or baby-sitter, as dealing with someone on a personal and regular basis would generally cause you to use either a shortened moniker or just Title-Family ("Cat" or "Miss Feline", respectively).

Also, reaction to Cat aside, it says a LOT about her personality that a person in her position should have the names of the tenants written down and while matching faces with names could understandably be difficult given the volume of people (accidentally calling someone by their roommate's name), at least knowing who's probably occupying the units is just a good idea. At least pretending to try and remember names goes a LONG way to fostering good relations. On the other hand, boiling them down to 'Tenant of Apartment A8' and then pointedly stating it as such is a maneuver to clearly state who's in charge and then thump them over the head with it. This is driven home as well by two other facts. First, Dawn addressed her by Title-Given. In this context it is a "sign of respect due authority" and so Mrs. P's status has already been recognized. Second, Mrs. P blew right by both Dawn and Ronnie without even acknowledging them. A move like this states "you are not worth my attention".

I hope that made sense. I really should write a wall-o-text at 3am... Rolling Eyes

Yeah I think you have a point there. Judging from flashbacks of Cat's family and the fact that her parents are paying for college, I think that Cat is from a wealthy family and therefore has the same status as that poodle.
kanna172003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:27 pm

kanna172003 wrote:
Latrans wrote:If I recall correctly, this is the first mention of Cat's last name.

Yeah I think you have a point there. Judging from flashbacks of Cat's family and the fact that her parents are paying for college, I think that Cat is from a wealthy family and therefore has the same status as that poodle.

I third this analysis/theory/hypothesis for the interaction; it's astute and makes sense. I guess this page reflects something once mentioned in the Harry Potter series... fourth book, I believe, Sirius Black, while they were discussing Mr. Crouch: One of the best ways to judge people is by how they treat their inferiors (...You know what I mean, subordinates authority-wise).

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing if background info will be forthcoming in the comic to precisely explain Ms. Pudelhund's preferential treatment of Cat. Going off of Latrans's theory about friend of the family and possible congregation member, she might also have fiscal ties to the Felines; it's possible that they invest in her renting business or something, as well.
Cutekitty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:54 am

Huh; Cat looks embarrassed in the last panel. Now; is she embarrassed at having her roommates find out she knows Pudelhund personally? ...at having Pudelhund reject her roommates so casually, but acknowledge her instantly? ...or some other reason I'm too sleepy to think of at 12:52 a.m? Rolling Eyes

Mr Ed

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:36 am

Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  The J.A.M. on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:35 am

Heh, who needs helicopter parents when you can send in a drone?
The J.A.M.

View user profile https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:44 am

WELL. That certainly explains it... Having someone call to check on a person every month would undoubtedly ingrain that person's name into your memory...

On a more serious note, it seems that Cat has a bad case of helicopter parents. I say that not because of the fact that they check up on her every month but because of how they elect to check on her. It's one thing to want to hear from your kid once a month or more; my mother e-mails me at least once a week, and I either e-mail or call or Facetime back at least once a week. But they aren't constantly acting worried, and they didn't even really give me strict guidelines like GPA rules or what to do in an "unwholesome" living situation, instead basically assuming that I was intelligent enough to handle myself, understood that excellence was expected of me without them saying so, and would contact them with reasonable frequency as long as they asked me to. In short, my folks think that I'm the best thing since Swiss cheese and trust me implicitly.

Cat's parents, however, do not talk to her directly, instead expecting a higher authority to keep an eye on her. That indicates a lack of trust: perhaps not in Cat's virtue, per se, but likely in her ability to think like an adult and handle problems on her own as well as the trustworthiness of her word (maybe they think she'd withhold the truth from them, or perhaps they think she would simply fail to recognize an important concern in her environment and therefore fail to alert them to it). They're treating her like a little child--her mother especially seems overprotective--and I don't think that's quite fair to Cat, because she IS intelligent and CAN, I believe, be trusted more than her parents seem to trust her.

One last comment: I love that expression in the last panel. It says a lot, at least to me; I see a lot of apprehension and uncertainty in that face. And I can see how her parents' conversation and overprotective demeanor would cause such feelings.
Cutekitty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:59 pm

Cute background girl in panel three! :-)

I mostly agree with CuteKitty; but, I think it's helicopter parENT. Dad seems to be spending most of his time reining-in Mom.

I like Cat's expression in the last panel too, but also in the first panel. Looks like Cat's a bit unsure in the last panel, but she also appears to be suffering in patient silence through all Mom's carrying-on. :-) (Poor Cat!) Mom obviously loves Cat and means well, but she could end up driving Cat into rebelling. (Hellooooo Hunter!) Although Cat seems a bit more in control of herself than that so far in the arcs we've read. (Would be kinda funny to find out Mom is over-reacting to her own youthful behavior.)

Mr Ed

Back to top Go down

Post  Charvale on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:55 am

I honestly have had every question about Cat answered in one single page of the Furry Experience comic.

Although I want to agree with you cutekitty, I'm more thinking along the lines of the idea that Cat (before she even entered high school) was more adventurous than what her roommates believe, and because of her parents she was taught that to be adventurous was bad or wrong. Parents who mean well with their protectiveness (and often overprotective natures) usually do more harm than good when it comes to keeping bad elements away from their children. Something as simple as having a first crush, or a first kiss can be scary to some parents because they want to think of their children as just that. Children. In many ways, Cat exemplifies those characteristics.

Honestly, I agree that her parents don't seem to be able to trust Cat, but there had to be something in Cat's past that has made them question either her integrity, or her powers of reasoning to the point where if anyone she doesn't know even tries to talk with her, she freaks out and runs like her tail is on fire. There has to be something more than overprotective parents, something that hasn't been shown or said in the comic. Either way, I'm going to keep reading and enjoying myself like I have for the past couple of years since I found FE.

Charvale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kynos argos on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:33 pm

I find the fact that Cat's parents are a little overprotective to be endearing. It shows a great deal about how much they care for her. While I do agree that their actions show a lack of trust, that may not necessarily be a bad thing. She has shown tendencies to over indulge with certain freedoms. I also feel that having an authoritative figure check in on her monthly is not a bad course of action. If her parents were more sheltering during her childhood, then throwing her to the wolves could prove to be devastating. By having the land lady check in on her she gains a greater degree of freedom than living with her parents while still allowing her parents to make sure that she is staying out of trouble. This would also allow her to transition from living a sheltered life to being on her own gradually.
/my two cents

Kynos argos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Good point, Mr. Ed, it does seem that it's mostly just the mother acting overprotective, isn't it? Laughing And Kynos argos, yes, the overprotective behavior does indicate caring, and I suppose I can see how it may seem endearing. And I can see why jolting abruptly from careful, overprotective supervision to none at all would make for a rough transition. But I still don't think the helicopter behavior is entirely healthy for Cat. In my opinion, her parents (or parENT, rather) should not have sheltered her quite so much in her childhood in the first place.

Part of growing up is practicing making decisions by oneself and learning to anticipate how actions can translate into consequences. As hard as it may be for a parent, regardless of how innocent and childish their kid may seem, I think it's important to have a little trust and give them a little space to grow up. I'm not saying that the Felines should have dropped Cat off at college and just completely left her to fend for herself, but I do think they should keep in touch with her directly via the occasional phone call and/or e-mail and give her the opportunity to contact /them/ to tell them herself how things are going, as opposed to asking someone else to monitor her. This would allow them to provide advice and guidance while giving Cat room to grow into an adult's independence and responsibility. This would also indicate confidence in her ability to do so, thus offering her implicit encouragement and support while strengthening their relationship with her.

As for how much Cat still has to grow up and your take on her impulsiveness, yeah, I can see what you're talking about, particularly in one of the earlier arcs--the one on her binge eating. But she's also shown an ability to act responsibly and intelligently; she works hard at her studies, and she /has/ dealt with some uncomfortable or problematic situations on her own (like when she found out that figure drawing involved nudity, she persevered and made herself deal with it, and after that whole sociology experiment fiasco, she did go talk to her teacher and then worked up the guts to call her parents and confess, at least grade-wise, what happened). So I still think she deserves a bit more trust than her parents (her mother, more precisely) seem to give her.

Charvale, that's an intriguing theory about her nature in childhood and her parents' backlash reaction, and you may be onto something there. But I do think some folks do act overprotective for no reason other than they care a lot about their kid and want to protect them from the big, bad world but do not quite know how to do so without smothering them. So while you may be right and there may be something else contributing to the issue, I wouldn't discount the possibility of Cat simply growing up with a naturally overprotective mother.

I think her whole issue with talking to people is a catch-22 situation; she said herself in that arc with the group project that she doesn't like being around people because it makes her feel like she should say or do something but doesn't know what. Simply not being certain how to interact with others can be quite stressful, and if she did happen to have a sheltered childhood coupled with a naturally shy personality, then she wouldn't have learned how to handle social interactions well early on, so she would have avoided them, so she still wouldn't have gotten accustomed to handling them...

But again, you could be right, and there could be something more to this. In the meantime, I'll just sit back, read, and enjoy FE too... that, and I'll keep participating in forum discussions. I really like these in-depth character discussions; I get to think and learn and hear (...well, read... you know what I mean) others' perspectives, and that's so much fun. So thank y'all for being awesome and sharing your viewpoints. Smile
Cutekitty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kanna172003 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm kinda worried that at some point that Cat's parents are going to want to meet her roommates. I don't think they'll have anything against Dawn but I have a strong suspicion that they'll consider Ronnie to be "unwholesome", or at the her mom will. And don't even get me started on Hunter since he works as a nude model.
kanna172003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:28 pm

CuteKitty - I'm agreeing with you 99.44% now! :-)
Kanna - I think you have brought up a very good point too.

Mr Ed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum