Furry Experience - Official Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random FE Universe Questions!

+20
Bayrain
Joule
Dogboy09
xXEagleboyXx
Banjo(Auz)
TachisAlopex
Raine
artguy
THE COLONEL
Cutekitty
Mr. Cardinal
LeonMcBane
kanna172003
Pikachao
Mr Ed
Slim Shadow
JeffCvt
Ellen-Natalie
The J.A.M.
Latrans
24 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Random FE Universe Questions! Empty Random FE Universe Questions!

Post  Latrans Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:49 am

So, occasionally I get random questions marching through that vacuum between my ears. The kind of questions that don't need to be asked, but you feel compelled to ask them anyways. Anyways, rather than splatter them all over the board, I think I'll start trying to keep them right here so you don't have to look at them if you don't want to.

Questions like...

Are there avians in FE? I'd have to re-read the archives, but I don't recall seeing any.

What about reptiles or insects? Or even aquatic animals such as fish, squid or ... sponges? Suspect

Do ladies wear pantyhose? If so, why?

Are there motorcycles, and if so, motorcycle helmets? How would that work with bucks during rutting season (i.e. with anters)?

And lastly, what would Hunter look like in lederhosen?
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Random FE Universe Questions! Empty Re: Random FE Universe Questions!

Post  The J.A.M. Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 am

Do some females go into heat? And if they do, do they take medication to prevent it, or do they isolate themselves?

Several years ago I wrote the "script" for an estrus suppressant commercial Very Happy
The J.A.M.
The J.A.M.

https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:46 pm

Shoot, I wanna try answering these ^^

Latrans wrote:Are there avians in FE? I'd have to re-read the archives, but I don't recall seeing any.

What about reptiles or insects? Or even aquatic animals such as fish, squid or ... sponges? Suspect

There are definitely avians and reptiles, though they're not as common around Utah. (There's actually an avian character coming into the comic later on! And there is one reptile drawn in the background of one page. Invisible special points to whoever can find the page.)

There has yet to be any evidence of advanced aquatic or insect civilizations found, though it has been a popular topic for fantasy books and films.

Latrans wrote:Do ladies wear pantyhose? If so, why?

Sometimes, for the same reasons human ladies do-to be alluring, hide flaws, for warmth, etc.

Latrans wrote:Are there motorcycles, and if so, motorcycle helmets? How would that work with bucks during rutting season (i.e. with anters)?

Yep, law requires them. Antler helmets have a hinge built in, so the the helmet can open easily. (Fortunately, there's several reinforced straps to ensure the wearer's head doesn't open as easily in an accident.)

The J.A.M. wrote:Do some females go into heat? And if they do, do they take medication to prevent it, or do they isolate themselves?

It's been known to happen, but a simple hormones shot helps those in heat get through the season.
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffCvt Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:17 am

I don't think the topic of pets have ever been brought up.

Do they have pets in the FE universe? And if so, what are they?
JeffCvt
JeffCvt

Back to top Go down

Post  Slim Shadow Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:24 am

Slim Shadow
Slim Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffCvt Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:31 am

I remember that now. Duh.
JeffCvt
JeffCvt

Back to top Go down

Post  Slim Shadow Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:44 am

Oh, and the reptile is at http://furryexperience.smackjeeves.com/comics/1183629/page-132/ fourth panel on the farthest right.
Slim Shadow
Slim Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:18 am

Ah! Same pannel as Ms. Rarity! *pokes Mr. Cvt*

Also, since we're on the topic of antlers, how is velvet treated?
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:57 am

Latrans wrote:Also, since we're on the topic of antlers, how is velvet treated?

In many countries of the world, antler velvet is used for medicinal and functional purposes. Antler velvet can be found in purses, coats, hats and several other items. It's a natural, useful resource. However, in the United States, antlers are more often regarded to being symbols of sexual prowess. So the velvet shed off them is considered 'unclean' by most conservative cultures, and it's usually just thrown away. The practice of 'recycling' velvet is usually only done by "them hippie folk."

In most of the world, bucks have been known to shed their antlers in public areas-such as rubbing the antlers against the bark of park trees. But in the United States, shedding and leaving velvet in public areas is considered vandalism, and discouraged. As a result, shedding velvet is a private thing to be done in a buck's own home, with a bark block. Many modern girls in the US consider a buck who leaves his velvet on his antlers longer than necessary as someone with poor hygiene skills.
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:21 pm

Ellen-Natalie wrote:...Many modern girls in the US consider a buck who leaves his velvet on his antlers longer than necessary as someone with poor hygiene skills.
I like how you are wording your answers!

Mr Ed

http://Iron-Ed.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 pm

In response to my earlier question about avians, my ladyfriend did an archive binge. She found some avians.
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:33 pm

I has a new question!

How antlers treated during shedding season? Are they kept as souvenirs of growth (like marks on the door frame) or discarded more akin to toenail clippings? How are bucks treated who have lost one but not yet the other antler?
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Latrans wrote:I has a new question!

How antlers treated during shedding season? Are they kept as souvenirs of growth (like marks on the door frame) or discarded more akin to toenail clippings? How are bucks treated who have lost one but not yet the other antler?

A buck will shed their antlers two or three times in their life. The first antlers to grow is during adolescence. They are usually small, with only one or two prongs. (Commonly referred to as 'baby antlers.') As the buck reaches adulthood, these antlers will usually be shed and larger, adult antlers will grow in their place. (Referred to as 'adult antlers.')

Depending on genetics, some bucks will lose their antlers a third time-usually around middle age. When it does, a larger set of adult antlers will grow in their place. But the time while the buck is growing them is sometimes referred to as a "mid-life crisis," since it's unusual to see bucks of that age with no or emerging antlers. These bucks are the primary audience for companies who sell prosthetic antlers.

Some pairs of antlers fall off at the same time, others one after the other. Some bucks grow their baby and adult antlers in early, others are late bloomers. Every buck sheds and grows their antlers at their own, natural pace. But peer expectations and unrealistic media ideals put a lot of pressure on bucks to try and manipulate this cycle.

How shedded antlers are treated depends on the buck's preference. Some families have the tradition of mounting their baby antlers on the walls of their home, others save them in storage as mementos, some even donate/sell them to companies who manufacture prosthetic antlers.
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikachao Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Here's a question I've had: is it common for utensil or tools to have a special version for people with hooves, or do they just use mostly the same stuff as people with hands?
Pikachao
Pikachao

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:28 pm

Pikachao wrote:Here's a question I've had: is it common for utensil or tools to have a special version for people with hooves, or do they just use mostly the same stuff as people with hands?

For the most part, hooves seem to be just as effective as hands-though gestures and mechanics can vary. Studies have shown that regardless of their origin, hoofed mammals master chopsticks much faster than any other species.

Last edited by Ellen-Natalie on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:52 pm

I'm now trying to picture an equine working a zipper... Rolling Eyes
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Random FE Universe Questions! Empty I'm wondering

Post  kanna172003 Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:50 am

Are the mysterious "protein" products they use similar to tofu? I mean, Cat contributed "protein products of unknown origin" for that one breakfast and now Brian is bringing Dawn "protein noodle soup". Also, what is their equivalent saying to "It tastes just like chicken" since that would be offensive to actual chickens?
kanna172003
kanna172003

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:36 pm

kanna172003 wrote:Are the mysterious "protein" products they use similar to tofu? I mean, Cat contributed "protein products of unknown origin" for that one breakfast and now Brian is bringing Dawn "protein noodle soup". Also, what is their equivalent saying to "It tastes just like chicken" since that would be offensive to actual chickens?

Food science credits the discovery of the protein nutrient by Antoine Marmoutcoy in the late 1700s. Antoine also discovered that some mammals thrived better with a steady diet of protein, and theorized that it could be endlessly versatile-built in a variety of ways, to produce a variety of food products. His theories were the inspiration for several protein breakthroughs still happening today.

Protein manufacturing companies became highly competitive in the 1800s, and started keeping their systems and techniques secret from public knowledge. At the same time, some major city governments began enacting policies to help the homeless and strays get off the streets. This combination caused horrific rumors that are still present about in today's cultures, inspiring stories and films like the cult classic "Soylent Protein." Younger generations seem to especially enjoy joking about the idea that their protein could be their neighbors-using phrases such as "tastes like chicken" to get a reaction from their peers. But those jokes tend dull and sour in appeal as they grow older.

Nowadays, nobody believes the food on their plate came from another animal-but the average American couldn't tell you much about how protein is manufactured, aside from 'Molecule stuff.' Most Americans don't think too much about where their protein comes from, they're just happy to enjoy it.
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  LeonMcBane Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:00 am

I love you we (when I say "We" I mostly credit Latrans) push you to your creative limit with these questions. It's really fun.
LeonMcBane
LeonMcBane

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:42 am

Heh... I didn't see Mr. Claw's post until just now. I blame that vacuum between my ears. Without any thinky-bits to filter out the crazy, a lot of weird stuff comes through on occasion.

Moving on, though, I have more questions! Do people in FE have whiskers? I've never seen them drawn, but also suspect that's a stylistic choice rather than a continuity decision.

Also, are there species-specific styles of entertainment? For example, DMFA has featured a yarn-ball pit catering to the feline members of society.
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellen-Natalie Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:57 pm

Latrans wrote:Do people in FE have whiskers? I've never seen them drawn, but also suspect that's a stylistic choice rather than a continuity decision.

Of course! But they're usually kept trimmed short. Some younger males try proving how mature they are by growing whiskers out long, but unless they keep them well-groomed long whiskers will lead to a slovenly appearance. For females, having whiskers is like many other parts of the female body-completely natural and normal, but considered unattractive to have. It's not unusual for girls to trim and pluck their whiskers out if they start showing.

Latrans wrote:Also, are there species-specific styles of entertainment? For example, DMFA has featured a yarn-ball pit catering to the feline members of society.

There's a long, rich history of events, games and toys that different communities developed specifically for their own species. As technology advanced and more species started coexisting together, they shared these icons of their heritage with other species, along with adopting other cultural customs into their own societies. For example, Avian cultures have some of the earliest records of scavenger hunting. This game was meant to teach younger Avians how to find and collect building materials for their future homes. Nowadays, it's a game enjoyed by searching for a list of various odd objects, played by several different species.
Ellen-Natalie
Ellen-Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post  The J.A.M. Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:08 am

Hobbes liked his girls with long whiskers Very Happy
The J.A.M.
The J.A.M.

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Yes, but Hobbes also almost gave up the super-secret password for a belly rub.
Latrans
Latrans

Back to top Go down

Post  LeonMcBane Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:38 am

Are there certain Holidays for each species? If so,what would they be based around ( Also, a funny frisbee themed holiday just came to mind)
LeonMcBane
LeonMcBane

Back to top Go down

Post  The J.A.M. Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:27 am

I imagine all canines celebrate the Full Moon every 28 days.

Perhaps Spring Break is celebrated only by migratory species.

"Australia Day" could be when all marsupials celebrate when Australia broke off from Pangea Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
The J.A.M.
The J.A.M.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next