FE Page 211

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FE Page 211

Post  Ellen-Natalie on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:23 pm

Cat running away again, from Hunter's perspective.
Ellen-Natalie

View user profile http://www.furryexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Awww!

Post  kanna172003 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Come on Cat! How can you NOT like Hunter?
kanna172003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FE Page 211

Post  EddieFox on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:44 pm

kanna172003 wrote:Come on Cat! How can you NOT like Hunter?
I believe she does. But its like adding a new person. She's really shy so...Yeah..
EddieFox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hmmm

Post  kanna172003 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:53 pm

EddieFox wrote:
kanna172003 wrote:Come on Cat! How can you NOT like Hunter?
I believe she does. But its like adding a new person. She's really shy so...Yeah..

Then what Hunter should do is show up with an offering of food. Brownies or something. That was how Dawn got Cat to warm up to her.
kanna172003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EddieFox on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:30 am

Yeah I know. He tried to treat her to lunch before I think...Or maybe just a coffee don't remember. But she just skittered away.
EddieFox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Yeah

Post  kanna172003 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:30 pm

EddieFox wrote:Yeah I know. He tried to treat her to lunch before I think...Or maybe just a coffee don't remember. But she just skittered away.

She was okay with the lunch part, it was only after he called it a date that she took off.
kanna172003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Slim Shadow on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:51 pm

In b4 Forever Alone photoshop
Slim Shadow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Dammit, Mr. Shadow...

You guys know me too well. Laughing
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EddieFox on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:25 pm

XD have to..

still a better love story then twilight.
EddieFox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The J.A.M. on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:12 pm

"I can't date you! I've seen you naked!!!" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
The J.A.M.

View user profile https://www.fanfiction.net/~thejamakanumbuhi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Ed on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:23 am

Maybe Hunter should ask Dawn, or Ronnie, how to get to Cat.

Mr Ed

View user profile http://Iron-Ed.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Latrans on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:45 am

It's unlikely that he knows them, and even if he did, unlikely he'd know they were roommates. Closest he'd likely come is recognizing Ronnie from the (half?) class she spent in Cat's place.
Latrans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EddieFox on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:27 pm

Latrans wrote:It's unlikely that he knows them, and even if he did, unlikely he'd know they were roommates. Closest he'd likely come is recognizing Ronnie from the (half?) class she spent in Cat's place.
more like 5 minutes...Till he took of his clothes then Ronnie Dashed...
EddieFox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  oneuglybunny on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:24 am

It's one thing to say that Cat is "shy." There are plenty of socially awkward, introverted people going about their lives.

However, when a close interpersonal moment can induce something like a panic attack, something's wrong. In fact, this is one of the warning signs of abuse. The victim, in effect, flees contact in order to stay "off radar," and minimize the abuse. The superficial glimpse of Cat's parents doesn't paint them as controlling or abusive, but it was only a glimpse. I'd recommend that Cat see the campus psychologist to determine why close relationships trigger "red alert" mode. The severity of Cat's "shyness" is worrisome.
oneuglybunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutekitty on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:18 pm

I love Cat's final response once she's done stumbling over her words: "It's good to see your face"... That's so sweet, actually quite a nice recovery from her little flustered moment. But then she high-tails it... Ah well, at least she stuck around long enough to speak a little. I'm looking forward to learning more about Hunter, too, and seeing where this arc goes.

In response to what oneuglybunny said, while I realize Cat's shyness is on the rather extreme end at times, I don't think abuse or any similar serious issue is the cause. Actually, Cat herself put the finger on her issue with shyness when she explained herself to Ronnie several arcs ago, in that one about the group project with Courtney: she said that when she's around people, she feels like she's supposed to say or do something, but she doesn't know what. In other words, not knowing what to do puts her in an awkward--scary, even--position well outside of her comfort zone, so she obeys her natural flight instinct rather than deal with the uncertainty and awkwardness. Once the ice is broken, however, she recognizes a person as a friend whom she knows how to interact with and therefore feels comfortable around, or so it appears to me. It also appears to help when she has some sort of distraction or ulterior purpose for a conversation, such as her artwork, or some sort of extrinsic award to tempt her out of her comfort zone, such as brownies.

My guess is that Cat has always had the option of simply hiding away in the comfort of her home, and as a result, she hasn't gotten much practice in the social world, which would, of course, exacerbate any natural shyness or timidity, which would have motivated her to avoid exploring social situations in order to stay in her comfort zone in the first place. And yet she has managed to go to college, form friendships, talk to teachers when necessary, and even confidently deliver an oral report in a way that most likely got her a better grade but provoked the anger of her not-so-ideal partner. She's doing okay, I think, and I think living at college will continue to challenge her shyness in a way that will cause her to rise to the occasion and grow as a person.

Furthermore, I think Cat's shyness goes to certain extremes only when she is around Hunter; I haven't noticed her blushing, fleeing, or panicking nearly as much around anyone else. I suspect this is because interacting with Hunter now opens up a whole new can of worms that Cat probably has absolutely NO IDEA how to deal with: romantic emotions and concepts. When she first met Hunter, she was able to talk pretty openly with him about her motivations for taking a figure-drawing class; it was only when he labelled his offer to eat lunch with her as a date that she freaked out enough to flee the scene. Something similar happened when she ran into him again in that smoothie incident, though this time she started out flustered and then calmed down enough to talk normally, at least until he suggested sharing a smoothie and Cat got a romantic picture in her head. Now this time, she became very flustered as soon as her attention turned from the art to him--and because of how she has acted around him in previous arcs, I suspect it's because she now can't think of Hunter without romantic ideas and emotions popping up unwanted in her head. I'm guessing that this triggers such a strong reaction because she has NO IDEA how to deal with them.

For just plain person-to-person interaction, at least she's had SOME experience, even though, yes, she gravitates strongly towards familiar faces and away from strangers. But the concept of romance and any related emotions? I'm guessing Cat has had no experience prior to whatever she may be feeling around Hunter (I wouldn't know; I have no more experience than I think Cat does), and it probably doesn't help that she never got a proper sex ed before Ronnie stepped in (if she had, maybe it would have helped her have a slightly better understanding of romance). As a result, dealing with Hunter and, more specifically, the thoughts and emotions she has linked to him now is far more of an unknown to her than regular social interaction, so it's much more scary for her--and she therefore becomes flustered and panics much more easily around him, along with having a much stronger flight instinct.

So yeah, personally I don't think it's past experience with abuse or anything similar causing Cat's extreme shyness here; I think it's just her naturally shy personality coupled with thoughts and emotions that she's not familiar with and has no idea how to deal with--so, naturally, she flees from their cause to get back into her comfort zone. Then again, you could be right, oneuglybunny, and there could be some more serious underlying issue that is as of yet unrevealed.
Cutekitty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Splendid analysis, Cutekitty

Post  oneuglybunny on Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:04 am

I believe that you are correct in your assessment of Cat's shyness. Coming from a well-to-do household with no obvious siblings, means that Cat has had little chance to practice and develop social interaction. Xenophobia is a common fear, though the severity of Cat's reactions still raises red flags in my view. It's one thing to blush and "turtle" with embarrassment; it's another to seize in terror and flee. Discomfort triggers the former response; trauma triggers the latter.

However, Cat does function in a public setting, and with her roommates. Plus, she's had dinner with Ronnie's father, which seemed to go well. Thus, your analysis that Cat needs a safety mechanism appears sound. With Dawn and Ronnie covering her flank, Cat is fine with public dining and meeting new people. Courtney fills this role to a lesser extent as Cat's "designated classmate." Cat apparently can function well enough when roles are predefined and structured, as Latrans pointed out: teacher / student or customer / vendor or patient / visitor. Perhaps, if Hunter conducted his talks with Cat from behind a desk, things might go more smoothly. The desk would act as a safety barrier, keeping discussions more art-related and less personal.

Though, my recommendation: Hunter, leave Cat alone. When she's ready to interact with you, she'll let you know. Until then, leave things be. Trouble is a lazy dog that only rises when stirred.
oneuglybunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum